Spark Plugs

dogbox

Hi Guys

I have a question about spark plugs and what would be the best type and heat range

I've changed spark bugs and altered the heat range in performance cars with success but are not sure whether I can tinker with a two stroke engine spark plugs

I recently pulled out my plugs from my Yamaha 115 1997 plug number BR8HS-10. After reading the NGK web site I found that this plug is relative cold plug.

On inspection of my plug I found it wet and oilypost-19822-0-97006600-1404947002_thumb.jpg

I ask the question

In a two stroke are we suppose to get complete burn of the oil or is there to be left over residue for lubrication purpose?

Can I replace the pugs with high performance plugs as listed on the NGK web site?

Dogbox

Craig is the best guy to answer your post , but , in respect to your question,

" or is there to be left over residue for lubrication purpose?"

The answer is , yes.

Geoff

Hi, the best and safest plug to run in any outboard is the one the manufacturer recommends. If the engine is tuned correctly a good plug after a hard run is a light tan colour so if you are not seeing that you want to make sure the timing is right, the oil injection system is set-up right and the engine is running at correct temps-especially at low speeds. The engine wants to run hotter at low speeds and the that is the job of the thermos, so if they have not been serviced in this 17 year old engine, maybe good time to do it.

Cheers,

Huey.

7 years, more so if used in salt water, can lead to sticky thermos which in turn leads to cold running engines and spark plugs that look like yours especially if the oil you use is a dino oil. A engine of that age wants to use the plugs you have in her.