Lowrance vs Humminbird

locodave

Just looking at the two, looks like the Humminbird has extra features. Unless I am wrong.

Lowrance:

Fish FInder

Chart Plotter

Structure Scan

Humminbird:

Fish FInder

Charplotter

360 imaging

Side imaging

Down imaging

Is the Humminbird the way to go? Do you need more than one transducer for these? Think I remember reading you need another one for side imaging.

I still think I prefer the Lowrance, just wondering if anyone knows if only one transducer is needed for structure scan.

Hi, not really accurate, the Lowrance has CHIRP for better clarity, both do combo units and structure on the Navico products gives you DI and SI and they have spot light giving 360 degree viewing like 360 (but a fair bit cheaper-but then you need a cable steer electric-so swings and rundabouts), so all in all pretty equal. There are advantages and disadvantages with both brands-like anything in life and the best value for money at the moment is the Simrad NSS units, that can add sonar hub to get CHIRP-if you want but for most trailer boats the NSS with the correc tranny does a great job, Structure scan to get DI and SI, Radar, Sonic hub and many other cool things. Also the Simrad is a touch screen/button color combo that can not be beaten on price at present. Simrad are the level up from Lowrance and the best is the new NSS Evo2 if money is no object but as I say to everyone looking at electronics, let us know a budget and I will give you my opinion which I think is better. Last week we fitted a good system with the HB and M/K linked to each other so that is a bonus they offer. This week we have/will be fitting a Lowrance HDS-7 touch with LSS-2 and also if time permits a Simrad NSS8 touch screen.

To get structure scan you require two transducers and as to which company you talk to both say that is an advantage (elements doing dedicated jobs) with the other say it is a disadvantage-the HB is all in one and they claim that is better.

Cheers,

Huey.

I had Huett marine fit my hds7 and lss2 about a year and a half ago, fantastic service and installed I could not get a better price even with taking the boat from home (campbelltown) to cowan at their premises. From memory, it was atleast a couple of hundred cheaper than anywhere more local to me.

Huey's advice is awesome and even took the time at the end of the day when I picked the boat up at 5pm to go through the basics of the sounder/gps and structure/side scan with me.

Yes it does have two transducers, the basic one is like any transducer but the structure scan transducer is about 200mm long x 70mm wide, it sits at the same level as the regular transducer though. Also the lss2 unit itself is like a small car audio amplifier, I cant remember the exact size specs but its around half the size of an A4 piece of paper maybe 200mm x 200mm x 50mm high.

Definitely give these guys a call or pm!!!! I cant stress enough their service is A+++++++++++!!!

I know about their good service. I've had my boat there before :)

I was just after more info on these unit's as I haven't really done much research as yet and was just cheating to see what others know.

I have Hummingbird 858 and a 788 XD. I rate them highly. I have been out on boats with all the 1 kw transducers and top of the range models furuno, raymarine, lowrance. I honestly think my hummingbird out performs the lot. The GPS is super accurate and reaction time is just about instant. Have you seen guys turning around in circle because the gps is reacting too slow or on the zig zags heading out to sea because reacting to slow. This does not happen with the hummingbird. most people that come on my boat cant beleive the performance and ease of use of my combos. Oh and on the XD model i can pick up blue eye and gem fish when fishing the canyons out on the shelf without a 1Kw transducer. I have seen some of these other top of the range brands not even pick up bottom out there. I have no experience in the DI and side scan stuff.

Dave

Stay away from Navico, it was excellent gear when it was Northstar but then Brunswick bought it and then it turn to crap.

Personally I like Raymarine and Furuno gear follow by Simrad, Hummingbird and Lowrance. You and others will have a different order for what ever reason.

But the performance of the units often comes down to how the receivers are set up and the quality of them. eg. GPS antenna and Transducers and yes this is somewhere were the more expensive it is the better they will be.

With GPS's people will often have the DOP, GDOP, HDOP figure set way to high or low and have the DGPS turned off which all affect accuracy. Timing is another problem although it's not always adjustable, the receiver should have all the information it needs in about 75-125 nanoseconds for a accurate fix then is "dumbed down" by user settings and quality of the system in use.

Transducers it's pretty simple select the correct gain and frequency and (tune it further if you can). A 600 watt isn't going to match it with a 1KW or 3KW and price plays a big difference in quality. If your only fishing bays get the 600 it your off the shelf get 1 KW minimum. If you must have DI and SI and want quality you'll have to pay for it.

Edited by Whaler 255

I always thought Northstar was purchased by one of the companies that falls under the Brunswick Corp. and it was renamed Navico. Who runs it now mate? Or where have I got mixed up?

Brunswick boats where all fitted with Northstar around 2007-2009 maybe and once that stock dried up the higher end boats of the Brunswick corp where no longer fitted with Northstar. Navico products were fitted on the lower end boats that fell under the Brunswick umbrella. No sure if they still are.

Hi, Brunswick owned Navman (NZ company) for a few years, the name was changed to Northstar (an old name OS) and then it was sold to Navico who discontinued the brand a few years ago. The Navman/Northstar were OK units in their day, but compared to electronics you buy today they are way outgunned-pretty much the same with all brands from even a coupel fo years ago-things change fast in that area. Yes back in the day Telwater boat brands, when they were rigging Merc as part of the BMT, they also came with Navman due to the tie-in.

Cheers,

Huey.