Does anyone use uhf radios?

Ojay Samson

Hi all, I'm new to boating and not sure where to ask this but I was wondering if anyone uses uhf radios in Sydney waters, mainly around the harbour and botany Bay. I've recently been looking at some portable vhf radios but not sure if I need one as I only travel around Sydney's enclosed waters and I only have a humble 3.75m tinny. Also the fact I need a certificate to use a vhf. I just remembered I already have a uhf radio I used to use for car cruises and such and was wondering if it would be pointless using it on the water for in cases of emergencies or general chit chat to other boats fishing around the area etc. If people do use uhf for marine applications I was wondering what channels are usually used as I only have a 40 channel preset uhf walkie talkie.
I've tried the search button to and could not find anything on uhf which probably means I've answered my own question [emoji52]

Edited by Ojay Samson

I've got a couple of 27Mhz radio's in mine. I don't know if they are UHF or VHF

New VHF radios are less than $300 so I guess at some point I should try and get one

In the mean time, I'm only in the harbor so I have mobile phone coverage plus I can take

my little hand held vhf radios

If you figure out the answer, post it. I'd like to know

I have a 27mhz for keeping in contact with the fishing club & a VHF for safety.

Marine rescue do listen to the 27mhz however more boaties nowadays have a VHF.

IF you are in an emergency it's a lot quicker to get on ch 16 and call mayday then to fiddle with the mobile.

Wouldn't bother with the VHF cert. As long as you listen to other uses & understand the wordings and phrases you are fine.

I don't think I know one person with that cert. I did the course to learn everything but didn't get around to doing the test. It's easy stuff.

Doesn't answer your UHF question however!

Cheers

You can pick up handheld waterproof VHF radios I saw the other day advertised online for $220. Not that I'd rely on them as a sole source of safety for far offshore only for the reason of battery life but as backup or inshore they do look like a good deal. Yes you need to do the course that is run by Marine Rescue and while I shouldn't say it publicly I can assure you that there are more VHF radios sold than license issued.