Frozen Steering

chr42is

I had to leave the boat out of the shed whilst moving house and now find the steering has seized. It is the cable from wheel to engine that is solid. Any advice on how to free steering up. I have disconnected the arm from the push/pull bar and engine turns fine. So how do I sort this out Plz?

Boat is 455 Stacer Kingray 50 hp Merc.

Don't try turning the steering wheel as you will most likely end up breaking the gears in the helm. You

said you have removed the bar, the next step is to undo the nut on the cable on the other side of the

motor. Then try to pull the cable out of the motor. You might have to tap on the end with a hammer or

perhaps apply some heat. You then need to clean up the cable (removing dry grease etc). Then apply

white lithium grease (you can buy it in a spray can) and re-assemble. It's worth doing this procedure once

a year as a preventative measure.

I have a similar problem on my boat from time to time.

The main cause is , the lubricant , normally grease goes hard causing the tube to seize

If I raise the lower the motor several times the tube twists there by freeing it up sufficently to move the steering out so the tube can be cleaned.

Alternativly , remove the linkage arm & using a suitable device like vice grips try to twist the tube BUT great care is required so not to burr the tube.

Once free , move the tube in & out several times , each time cleaning the tube untill all the old lubricant is removed.

Relubricate with a suitable product that will not go hard & seize up the arm .

Geoff