A thumping Middle harbour squid

DerekD

Hi Fishraiders,

Over the years I have had a lot of pleasure teaching my friends either how to catch squid or tweak their technique so they become more efficient at it.

Now it is in the natural order of life and the movies that the student betters the master but it has left me a little envious to see how quickly two of my pupils in the last year managed to show me up.

While I may have had bigger squid, since I started measuring my biggest squid hood to date was 26cm. Shortly after teaching them both, Jez caught one with a 29cm hood and then Seb caught one with a 31cm hood.

I came to the conclusion that either:

• I taught them both too well, or;
  • they were both supremely talented at squiding, or;
  • they were both in the right place at the right time, or;
  • I had set the benchmark way too low for them both.

Fishing in Middle harbour this afternoon I had the opportunity to raise the benchmark and retain my position as squid-master. Was casting out a 2.2 pink and white Yamashita and when flicking the rod I felt a solid weight. Then line starting peeling off the 4lb outfit. Tightened the drag a couple of clicks and waited for the squid to stop. Took a little while to get it close to shore and realised what a thumping squid it was. Took even longer for me to land as I didn’t have a net and really, really, really didn’t want to lose this one.

For the record the hood length went 38cm and is a confirmed personal best.

Regards,

Derek

post-8506-0-68740000-1405323092_thumb.jpg

post-8506-0-35840900-1405323124_thumb.jpg

Hi The Fisherman6784,

I was on a high when I finally got it out of the water. I suspect it will be a long time before I beat that in Sydney harbour, if ever.

The rod is a Daiwa Wicked Weasel which I picked up recently after a fishing buddy accidently decapitated my Daiwa Spellbinder and I couldn't get a replacement tip. The casting weight is 2 - 14 grams and recommended line weight is 2 - 6kg which I found impressive. I just think the length of butt underneath the reel seat is a bit too long to suit my lure flicking style.

I got the wicked Wiesel and it's gotta be one of my favourite rods

I got the gomoku and it's great but doesn't have the ability to throw light lures

On my gen black I've caught from finesse bream to 5inch plastics for kings

It's a great rod and I wan more

They are just awesome especially for there price

I got it matched up with a daiwa caldia 2500 with 10lb braid and never misses a beat getting those great fish in

What reel have you got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm running a Symetre Fi which I bought years ago. I liked it so much that I bought 2 more which sit in the cupboard. It means I have spare spools for different braids and 8lb mono. Furthermore when it dies I can grab the next one out of the cupboard and just switch over the spools. Truth be told it usually sits on my Shimano Ian Miller first generation bream finesse on which I have landed a lot of fish including 70cm Kingfish and Queenfish too (want to get mangrove JACK on it too). For me, apart from maybe the weight it is still one of the top five rods I would choose given an unlimited budget. I picked the Daiwa rods up as a guest rod and for something a little different. I run 4lb Powerpro braid as I have found it overtests so I don't usually feel underpowered and I still have the benefit of extra casting distance.

Just dropped it off at a friend's place as it was too good to save for bait and my friend likes his seafood way more than I do so I thought he and the missus would appreciate it more (also way too much for one person). So big in fact he was still cleaning it for the pan when I left. :mfr_lol:

I have the head and the wings and am hoping to convert them into a jewfish or a kingfish in the next fishing session.

Just been on Skype to Jezza one of the aforementioned students who showed me up. He has threatened to come back from Spain to catch a Kraken and is planning to use an anchor as a squid spike and a whole "deleted" as a bait.

He could be on to something.... :harhar:

Would be big ones around, got that fat mamma last nite off the rocks, would of been similar size maybe tad bigger, 54 cm from head to hood, caught on 3.5 yama

Got a couple more in their 40 cm's toopost-30692-0-74902800-1405503703_thumb.jpg