Line For Casting Off An Overhead

Cameron

It has been years since I have done any serious spinning and beach fishing with an overhead reel and recently I have decided to get back into it again. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I find fishing with a decent overhead reel a more satisfying experience than using an egg beater. By spinning I mean hurling lures of a serious size using a two handed 10 foot (or longer) size rod, not using a single handed baitcaster. Back in the old days, mono was all there was, but now we have braid, gelspun etc which has real advantages in certain situations. However I am not so sure that it has any advantages for what I want to do. I use braid on my baitcasters and have encountered the odd problem with backlash. The thought of getting a backlash in braid from a spool spinning at a million miles an hour from hurling a half by quarter sized lure at the horizon does not even bear thinking about. Maybe I should spool up with mono and get the hand of it all over again before thinking of braid. Or maybe I should just stick with mono and be done with it. Any thoughts?

There has been a lot of talk recently about sticking to mono, especially of the rocks. Braib can't sustain the grazes along rock ledges that mono can. I wouls also wait to get the hang of casting again. :biggrin2: Although, all the backlashes I have had on BC and braid, have been relatively easy to unpick.

A lot of them use it and I've heard of special rod setups to stop 'wind knots' and this sort of thing, but if you're just going for a spin bugger it use mono, that's what I'm doing, braid is to exxy to be birds nesting and wrapping around cunjie. 400m or so aint cheap and mono does the job so why bother.

Also some serious spinners dont use because of how it lays on the reel or some such thing, Glen Beers posted about it under his nick 'beersy' on fishnet, you can search it and see.