Squid jig knot

dacosta74

If I have to tie direct I use the uni-knot but I suggest you do it slightly differently. Try getting some duo-lock (stronger design than some others out there) clips and matching swivels. Make sure the rating is a bit above your line rating. When I am jigging for squid I may have to change out jig style 2 to 4 times to find what is working and it is easier with the clips. There is a second advantage in that if you see some surface action you can quickly change out to a twisty or similar lure and chase the surface fish.

If I'm tying direct I use a loop knot as I feel it helps with the action. Although sometimes I will use something a fellow raider showed me called a spiral decoy. It acts as a loop knot with no moving parts, stronger than a snap swivel and you are able to change lures/jigs easy. I also use these when fishing from a kayak, makes life a lot easier!

Cheers scratchie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Scratchie, when you say you use a loop knot so you can change jigs easily, are you using it as a dropper and looping the Squid jig through overhand?

Any issues losing jigs if the dropper loop opens up?

Thanks!

No, I said if tying it direct to the jig I use a loop knot. I have to cut it off to change jigs. A spiral decoy acts as a loop knot and allows you to change jigs easily! However I have done what you've said and found it works too! No problem!