Furuno Fcv 587 or better

scaffsta

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some info on or has one of these units with a 1kw transducer, Im thinking of buying one of these or the fcv 295 but they don't make transom mount transducers in 2kw & I don't really want to go thru hull in my boat if I can help it.

Most of my fishing is usually past the shelf Browns and beyond to Heatons, My Hds 8 works ok but drops out on the troll around 600mtrs so ultimately I want something that is capable of depths to atleast 1000 mtrs if at all achievable.

I will keep the Hds8 for my plotter as its not a bad unit.

I JUST WANT A GOOD SOUNDER NOW.

Can anyone with experience help on this please ?

Cheers Steve

Edited by Madracket

I have the 587 on my boat with 1kw thru hull transducer. I can see the bottom to a bit over 600fathoms but lose the digital readout around 400fathoms. As for transom mounts I cant help you but that could be the perfect excuse to visit the boat show.

I did a bit more reseach & found the 82B-35R, 65 to 110khz in a 2kw transducer is meant to blow the 587 away theres nothing worse than than your sounder dropping out when your in deeper water, its very annoying.

Was kind of hoping a few game fishos mite have a similar set up to compare with.

The 587 I have heard is meant to be a good unit but as you said they do lose pick up at certain depths unless your drifting

Edited by Madracket