First Brown at my new home NZ

Cheman

Well packed my bags with the family and moved from Minchinbury Sydney to Motueka New Zealand for work. After 4 months of settling in I finally got a chance to have a fish at my local river (Motueka river). It was a trip to find out the best spots for fishing as it is the off season at the moment as they are in breeding mode until October, however some parts of the river are open for fishing all year round. It is very different fishing a fast flowing river compared to the lakes in the blue mountains. After 2 hours of looking around and trying all different types of lures I decided to use the old aussie classic, the tassie devil in brown trout colours. Well I was rewarded with a 48cm brown trout from a nice slow flowing section of the river, my first ever wild brown trout, I was as giggly as a school girl when I landed the beautiful fish. Found out this size are considered small and I cant wait for the real season to start in October. Within in the hour it was on my plate with lovely bacon yum. Best thing is it is only 5 minutes from my new home.

post-19357-0-01427400-1406511981_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-83711400-1406511996_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-00136900-1406512008_thumb.jpg

post-19357-0-27607100-1406512019_thumb.jpg

Nice brown I fished that river a fair bit over the four years I was there! I would if I was tou learn to fly fish as its a big thrill hooking a brown on the fly in that river and the sea runners will start up shortly! Looks like the river may have recovered from the big floods! Well done enjoy trout fishers Mecca

Thanks for your comments. It is on the top of the south island.

I will start the fly fishing once I get a fly rod shortly. Now I understand how fly fishing is more suited to these types of rivers rather than lures. It will be awesome hooking up and catching them on fly. The river flooded three times in the last four months but it recovers very quickly (in a couple of days) compared to Australian rivers after a big flood. Cant wait for the sea runners in October and November.

Nice catch mate.

If you like seafood then you're in a great part of NZ.

Whitebait season should be kicking off soon and is a great way to pass the time, plus if you don't like to eat them I'm sure someone will always be keen to buy your catch.

It was legal to do so when I was last home and was a good way to make some extra cash if you are keen.

Scallops are also prevalent in the area so if you have a boat I'd suggest you fork out for a dredge, you cant sell them but I'm sure you will find a keen hunter that will be willing to trade for some wild pork or venison.

If you are after a day out with the family, check out the Riwaka resurgence and pupu springs, 2 absolutely beautiful spots.

I'm from Marlborough myself and miss the place like crazy, but work and life in Oz is better for me.

Anyways, bit of an off topic post mate, but seriously enjoy the spot you are in.

Cheers

Choicebro

Initially from ChCh, fantastic Salmon fishing in the waimakariri river, (mouth), brother lives in Stoke, Nelson, just down the rd from you and there are some fantastic spots along the coast and further Nth from where you are living, but in the warmer seasons. Good Fishing !