Texas King

meg126

Hi,

Thought I'd hit Texas yesterday to try my hand at jigging... I learnt a few things.

1. Jigging is bloody hard work

2. Catching kings 100m down is also hard

3. Its a really really long ride out to Texas from Woy Woy boat ramp - and costs a lot of money

4. Don't get close to licensed fishing vessels or you get told off.

Was out there for nearly an hour or so due to the fact that my first mate was calling for Bert after 40mins... Managed to get a keeper king and watched all of the boats around us pull up a whole heap of kings, madly trying to avoid the local seal who looked pretty fat. I can understand the reports of people catching 100+ kings out there in a day, they are thick if you get the right drift but all rats.

We were, not so politely, told to keep 200m from 2 licensed fishing vessels who were also jigging for kings, not a net in sight. I wasn't aware that was the law - I knew you had to keep a safe distance from vessels trawling for obvious safety reasons, but 200m from a commercial vessel with no nets, can anyone shed some light? The fisheries website only mentions to keep a safe distance from trawlers.

Sorry, no picks.

Guest no one

Jigging 100m down... How are your arms?

Licensed fishing vessels? Never heard of them... i think they're probably being a bit precious.

Nice king it least you got one

I wouldn't say you have to keep 200m from them even the pros at longy come whitin 5m of you and there fine and there trolling livies

How far off shore is Texas reef I've heard about it I'm guessing you head out from pittwater heads

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Hey meg,

Definately think they're pulling your leg with that one. As far as I'm aware, the same rules apply to them as you. They just have a licence to sell their catch. Good effort any way and yes jigging at that depth is hard work. My arms are still sore from Tuesdays effort!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Nice king it least you got one

I wouldn't say you have to keep 200m from them even the pros at longy come whitin 5m of you and there fine and there trolling livies

How far off shore is Texas reef I've heard about it I'm guessing you head out from pittwater heads

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Texas Reef is 24nm from Barrenjoey. We were out there on Tuesday as well, how did you go Scratchie? Hey Meg, what time were you there on Wednesday. I have been there a few times over the last month and it's definitely preferable to be there for a tide change. The bite can come on then turn right off. Are those licenced vessels you're referring to charter boats or pro boats?

Cheers, Bart

A family member of mine was also out there with his partner in the last couple of days and the same thing happened to them, with the pro's making threats etc. Aparently they launched a jig at his boat and were trying to really intimidate them. Its definitely not an isolated incident. (Unless you guys are the family members i am referring too LOL)

Yeah, the other boat that got 'told off' told them where to go, if I had known the law at the time I would have very politely told them to mind their own business, mind you, being a lady I did feel quite intimidated.

Still, I think a call into maritime is the go, they should know that these guys are out there being d'heads.