Outboard shaking violently

VViCKiD

Hi guys,

I was out yesterday and my outboard started shaking violently after trolling around fr about 30 mins. I noticed just after it started shaking, the fuel gauge dropped to Empty and the outboard over heat beeper went off. I immediately turned off the outboard and then couldn't restart it for another 5 mins or so afterwards. I had the outboard trimmed up and suspected that could be the reason that it might've overheated since I was only travelling 6 knots. Everything was fine afterwards though the trip back was only short. Like 10 minutes away.

The outboard is a yamaha 115hp 2-stroke 2002 model.

This is the first time thishas happened. This problem has made me lose confidence in my outboard. Can anyone please shed some light on what this may be?

Thanks a heap in advance !

Edited by VViCKiD

What rev's were you running when trolling.

Is it possible one or more of the plugs oiled up therefore not firing causing the motor to shake however some motors have have a device that either reduces the revs or one of cylinders if over heating occurs. It's there to protect the motor but still give some driving ability.

In respect to the overheating , perhaps the water pump is on it's last legs & with the slow rev's /speed over the 30 min period insuficent water was going through the system.

Geoff

Thx Geoff. The outboard was probably at about 2000-2500 revs while trolling. I'll take a look at getting the plugs cleaned up. Any idea how much it is to replace a water pump?

Edited by VViCKiD

now you mention that there's a good chance you were sucking air with your fuel, while you prime the fuel is forced out while the engine is sucking the fuel through it will suck air form the same leak causing a misfire (running rough). For a wild guess from a guy that has no marine mechanic experience I would say while air was getting in the motor was not getting sufficient lubricant causing your overheating.

The water pump - if it were me I would be putting the motor in for a service having the impeller replaced , The impellers aren't dear but there's a lot of work to drop the gear box to have them installed. Annual servicing is heaps cheap compared to engine replacement! BUT replace the primer & give a test run before taking it for the service

Fuel gauge dropping to empty I think you will find this being a different problem altogether I would be looking for a bad connection maybe the vibration from the motor was just enough to loosen or break a wire that was just hanging in there.

Any idea how much it is to replace a water pump?

I had the pump done on my Yammie 70 2S with my 200hour service ,I suspect your pump is the same ,it cost around $50.00 for parts + labour , say 1 hour at $80.00 / hour.

Depending on where you go , should see change out of $150.

Ring a round for a quote

Geoff

Thanks guys. Yeh I've got the outboard service manual. But I figured I'd just take it into the shop to get the pros to look at it.

I managed to reproduce the problem the problem yesterday and maybe another.

I had the outboard running with ear muffs and revved it up to 200 rpms. After some time, it overheated and sure enough the buzzer went off.

What was interesting was once it went off, I switched the outboard off and it would not crank. The trim didn't work either and all gauges were off as though I flipped off the power switch. The lights on the boat were still working though. I then flipped it over to the secondary battery and flipped it back to the primary and I was miraculously able to crank the boat and trim it again. The primary battery reads 12V. I tried switching off the main power switch while the outboard was running and noticed the control box making static sounds. This was what I also heard while I was on the water when the gauges went all empty and stuff. It was as though the main power was switched off while the boat was moving.

I'm not sure how the outboard overheating can relate to any of these symptons. It's as though some fuse tripped up in the outboard when its overheated and limits battery power or some thing ?

Edited by VViCKiD

Interesting problem , other than dicussing with the service with the guys , perhaps a process of elimation,

Have you checked all the power connections , battery , motor ,power switch for any corrusion , loose connections clean connections etc.

As for the switch suggest an internal inspection , sounds like something is loose or the contacts need cleaning.

If unable to acess the internals , perhaps disconnect , by pass the switch & see if the problem reoccurs.

Geoff

I'll be trying that this weekend. Hopefully I can reproduce the problem.

One thing I did change is the bettery. It's now got a calcium battery and a lead battery (rather than 2 lead batteries).

I know this is not ideal, but I had already purchased the calcium battery. Not sure if this could cause a problem ?

I dought the difference in batteries is the problem. It's more the voltage in each battery that is important.

I found with mine , once the voltage gets down around 12V or below starting can be more difficult which , in essence , this goes with out saying however , I've not experienced the power loss you have experienced.

Geoff

You might answered you question ! one battery is old other new maybe the engine doesn't recharge the battery ( alternator issue ) and it drains battery with all other gadgets also running of the battery when switching to the new one (Full) Battery all seams ok than . worth a thought !

Cheers Oziodin :fishing1:

Thanks guys. Weird thing was,I switched to the new battery then switched back to old immediately. I don't know why that made a difference but it did. And while the old battery appeared to be "dead" all other gadgets (besides those related to the outboard's status), seemed ok.
I'll try this over the weekend. In any sense, I think I'll try get the impeller changed (been atleast a year since I've had this done).

I also suspect I may have not added enough pre-mix oil last time. Its a 110 L tank and I may have poured in 50L of fuel without adding pre-mix oil in it.

What a mystery this is. I hope I didn't do too much damage to the outboard if thats the case. :(

Edited by VViCKiD

Guest Aussie007

u may have to check your positive and earth wires with a mulitmeter to check your cables are maintaining the right level of power

i just done a impeller on the same engine its very simple, just undo the 6 gearbox bolts and i think from memory there was a rubber plug on top of the back leg there is a bolt below this u undo than u remove the trim tab and theirs another bolt up under there as well than the gearbox will lower down u just unplug the speedometer hose and remove the gearbox

when u replace the impeller place the top cover over the impeller and turn the drive shaft clockwise while pushing down on the impeller cover, bolt her down not to tight just snug, bolt her all back together and shes done

dont be surprised if a shop wants $300 for a impeller change

Thanks gazza. Yeh I'll definitely performance a battery check. Though I think my battery may be on its way out .. its at 12.34V atm.

I'm planning to install a temperature guage as well to monitor the temperature.

As for an impeller change, I'll probably do it myself in future. But for now, I'll get the workshop to do it and at the same time, check my thermostats etc..

Guest Aussie007

Thanks gazza. Yeh I'll definitely performance a battery check. Though I think my battery may be on its way out .. its at 12.34V atm.

I'm planning to install a temperature guage as well to monitor the temperature.

As for an impeller change, I'll probably do it myself in future. But for now, I'll get the workshop to do it and at the same time, check my thermostats etc..

speaking of thermostats my mates with the same engine are running one bummed thermostat ive told them they need to be changed one side of the block stays cold the other side runs nice and warm, the engine is using a shit load of oil because the stuck open port side thermostat is making the engine run cold and rich

are u having the same problem? my mates use one of the engine oil bottles to around 60-65L of fuel

Guest Aussie007

My outboard is a pre-mix, so the oil consumption is only what I add to the fuel.

I'll probably install a fuel gauge to montior my temperature going forward.

has the oil injection been disconnected?

I don't think it was there to begin with. I don't see the oil reservoir. So I just think it started off as a pre-mix. I'm not the first owner of the boat so I'm not too sure tbh. But yeh ur mates out board sounds like it's using heaps of oil. Sounds pretty smoky too

The out board is a 2002 model. I'm not too sure how many hours it's done. There's no meter. I'll ask my mechanic when I bring it in and post up results on the findings. I have a feeling there may be 2 problems at play here. First is the overheating. And second is the digital vsr or grounding causing power outages

Hi Vic,

If you want to bring your boat down, or just your batteries, I'll check them for you.

Also happy to go through VSR system, etc, with you. if you need any cables, we can make them, you fit them though!

And yes I think your right, there is probably two issues.

One question when the outboard is running, have you got a good stream of water running out of the telltale, as that is normally a strong indicator of the impeller. However it is good service practice to replace them regularly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Ian. I'll pm you.

I'd like to believe that it's 2 separate issues. Though it's very coincidental that when the overheat alarm trips up, all power is cut off. This is the part I'm really confused about.
When the outboard is running, there is a steady stream of water out of the tell tale. When I rev it up, that stream gets much stronger.
Im wondering maybe I had my outboard trimmed up too high and had slight gap over the water vents when I put my ear muffs on causing the outboard to overheat. This was the first time it ever happened.

Edited by VViCKiD