Outboard shaking violently

VViCKiD

The out board is a 2002 model. I'm not too sure how many hours it's done. There's no meter. I'll ask my mechanic when I bring it in and post up results on the findings.

Interesting , Are you sure it's a 2002 model.

My 70 2S is a 2003 model, has the automatic oil injection & a full set of gauges which tell everything one needs to know , eg temp , oil, speed , battery voltage , hours , trim & a few other items.

Can not quite understand a model one year earlier is so different

Are you still planning to take the boat to Blacktown?? If so suggest you ask about installing a full set (2) of Yamaha multi functional gauges .

In respect to the temp problem determing the water flow when on the ear muffs can give you a faulse result.

The only way to obtain an indication of the flow from the tell tail is when the motor is in the warter.

Geoff

Hi Geof,yeh I believe its correct. Here's an image of the outboard.

I believe the gauges just weren't installed. Though now I'm curious why it doesn't have oil injection.

The guages I have are speed, battery voltage, rpms and fuel.

115-hp-yamaha-outboards.jpg

The guages I have are speed, battery voltage, rpms and fuel.

115-hp-yamaha-outboards.jpg

I've just had a look on the Yammie web site & the photo of the current motor is the same as yours so the age appears correct , the mystery is why it has no auto oil injection. The limited gauges may have been a cost issue with the origional purchase but today they are standard equipment.

If you decide to spend some $$$ to up grade here is what you get, digitial gauges containing ,

Taco (RPM) , water temp alarm , low oil alarm (not applicable with premix) , speed (option for MPH / KPH / Knots)i , battery voltage , low battery alarm , total hours , trim , trip meter , time , fuel leval.

So , perhaps a bit more to consider after you address your immediate problem & the boat goes in for the water pump change

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Those digital gauges are quite some big $$$. Its something I'll have to think about.

I'm planning to upgrade to 4 stroke in a few years.

I've just had a look on the web. OMG !!! I can see what you mean about big $$$. The prices for something Yamaha produce in the hundreds or perhaps thousands for most likely a few $$$ each are out rageous..

Whilst nice to have , the price V's the benifit is just not justified , especially if your considering an up grade.

Cross that off the "to do" list.

Geoff

Guest Aussie007

sorry mate i should have finished off my last post, since my mates engine is running rich because of the thermostat being stuck open it fouled 1 of the plugs causing the engine to run rough and jumped around

Ohhhh that's interesting. I took a look at my plugs and one of them looked a little fouled up. I cleaned them up though .. In hindsight I probably should've left it so the mechanic can better diagnose. My boat isn't going to be looked at till next thur. Will keep everyone posted for future reference. In the meantime, I'm going to try reproduce and test the electricals out.

This is an awesome forum. So much good info and help!

Ohhhh that's interesting. I took a look at my plugs and one of them looked a little fouled up.

Which plug was it ,the lower plug on the port side bank ?

If so , there is a specific reason but will wait for your reply before I throw another possible aspect into the mix

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Yep that's the one. Lower side port side .. Looked a lot more oily than the others

The mechanical fuel pump , also on the Port side , is opperated by that piston. Inside the pump is a rubber diaphram which moves in & out as the piston moves.

Over time hair line cracks appear in the diaphram which allows fuel to be pumped directly into the cylinder thereby causing flooding , plug fouling which inturn drops you down to 3 cylinders & rough running.

To check this , remove the fuel pump then diaphram. This is not a difficult job. Hold the diaphram up to the light & if there are cracks light comes through.

Replace the diaphram & you rough problem will be fixed.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Geoff ! I'll have a look this weekend. Lucky I have the service manual :)

By all means check the manual but from memory the job is quite simple.

Remove the in & out fuel lines , undo the bolts holding the pump onto the motor & remove the pump. I think there is only 2 parts, the diaphram & a small spring.

Just be carefull when removing the diaphram as the spring may go flying off & lost.

Geoff

So I got the boat back today and it turns out an aftermarket impeller was fitted incorrectly. So the outboard was overheating only when at low revs. Problem solved!

Checked the diaphragm and it was all good.

Massive thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had our gen set serviced and that involves changing the impeller and that was about. $550. We have to do that every 100 hours which is very easy to rack up in 3 months in winter.

Wow, that seems excessive for the impeller, is that the complete genny service or just the water pump?

It's less than an hours job and the impellers about $40. That's on my 5kva Kohler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD