Anchor weight advice ?

Busy-livin

I've recently purchased a seafarer viking 5.2 and am looking for a suitable achor,

My understanding is that chain length should be roughly the length of the boat as a rule of thumb ( correct me if wrong) but as for a suitable weighted anchor I wouldn't have a clue what's best .

Thinking 10 to 13 lbs ??? No idea

Any advice would be great !

Cheers Stanton

I have a 4.9mt boat & have several anchors. I use the one suitable for the location & conditions on the day.

Generally speaking , you will need two , one with the 4 prongs for reef & plough type for sand.

As for weight , the recomendition from Maritime is reasonablly heavy with chain equal to the length of the boat . In theory , this is correct as they are considering the need to use the anchor in bad or heavy conditions , the chain acts a shock absorber when fishing in a big swell , ie as the boat moves up & down the anchor is not disturbed , however , most people only fish in either enclosed waters or close off shore on good days.

In other words , "it's horses for courses"

For reef, on reasonably calm days I use a 1/4" (6mm) 4 prong & very rarely have a problem holding bottom. They are easy to release & not heavy to pull up.

I do have a heavier anchor either 8 or 10mm prongs which came with the boat & has never been used.

I also have a light & a heavier sand anchor. I've found the heavier anchor is better. The 10lb will be OK for your boat.

For chain , I only use one meter on the reef anchor to provide some protection against rope abrasion on the rocks & none on the sand , never had a problem.

Geoff

A general rule for sand anchors is a pound per foot of boat. In most cases it's an overkill but a good starting point.

It may be a general rule but your correct about the overkill.

For 5.2mt that equates to 17lb. According to the Bias book 16lb is for 8-9mt boats.

10lb is the recomended sand anchor for 5-7mt boats

Geoff

Sweet as thanks guys !

The boat has a 4 prong reef anchor with about 2 meters of chain

As for sand I think I'll lean toward 13 lbs with 5 meters of 10mm chain.. Also I think may be wise to get a lesser anchor with less chain for calmer situations and all at crissy when the boats moored off te bank I can use the two front and back!

Thanks heaps for the replies really cleared it up!!

Prng anchor for reefs I have never used .. Once down in the reef how would you retrieve ?

My view is they hold on the rocks so pulling would prove ineffective ??? So would you drive around and get it up the oppisite way to where you were anchored and sitting in the current if you get me??

Sweet as thanks guys !

The boat has a 4 prong reef anchor with about 2 meters of chain

As for sand I think I'll lean toward 13 lbs with 5 meters of 10mm chain.. Also I think may be wise to get a lesser anchor with less chain for calmer situations and all at crissy when the boats moored off te bank I can use the two front and back!

Thanks heaps for the replies really cleared it up!!

Prong anchor for reefs I have never used .. Once down in the reef how would you retrieve ?

My view is they hold on the rocks so pulling would prove ineffective ??? So would you drive around and get it up the oppisite way to where you were anchored and sitting in the current if you get me??

A 10lb sand anchor is more than enough for your boat & perhaps a mt or so of chain. Remember , you have to pull the thing up. 13Lb + chain , especially in deep water will certinally put your fitness to the test.

Retreiving a prong anchor from a reef can be a challange thats one of the maim reasons

I use a 1/4" (6mm) anchor . I slowly drive forward retreiving the slack rope. When it's vertical . tie the rope via the bow spit to the bollard & apply a few more rev's. The prong will straighten & release.

If you choose to use one with a thicker prong then the above can become very difficult , on occusions dangerous and , or snapping the rope thereby loosing the lot.

There are other methods , one is "snapping" the anchor off the bottom either directly or via an anchor retreival bouy. These methods are not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced & can very easily end in tears.

But that a story for another day.

At this time , start with the 1/4" + a mt or so of chain. I'm sure , on most occusions this will be more than sufficent.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

It may be a general rule but your correct about the overkill.

For 5.2mt that equates to 17lb. According to the Bias book 16lb is for 8-9mt boats.

10lb is the recomended sand anchor for 5-7mt boats

Geoff

My boat is 8.2 metres and I had a 16lb anchor that wouldn't hold in any reasonable wind. gone to the 20lb but you don't wont to be pulling it up far.