Help ID this boat please

Jman231994

Hey everyone, first time poster here so hi, I'm Jordan. Me and my friends are pretty in to fishing but don't get a chance to go out in a boat that often, so....

Last weekend me and my friends went and picked up a project boat we managed to buy off eBay for $20. $100 in fuel later and we still think it's a decent buy. It's definitely in need of a lot of work but were up for it, main thing for us is that with some new bungs it should float so it's mostly all cosmetic work.

Now our big issue is that we want to know what make/model it actually is, we're reasonably confident that it's a pride as it looks almost identical to a Starfire but at 16ft it's way too big to be a Starfire. Our main reason for wanting to know is so we can find out what sort of HP we can have on the back of it safely

So, any ideas? Sorry the pictures are a bit dodgy, been a bit wet to go get some good ones so only have the pics from picking it up

Thanks, Jordan

e8a8a2er.jpg

8aru3yha.jpg

e8ujehun.jpg

Have had a reasonable look but haven't got under the motor well or bonnet yet cause of all the rain.

We didn't get any rego papers with it, can't imagine it's been rego'd for a long while either. Most recent fish length sticker is from 99.

It does have the boatcode plate on it though, could the rms/rta possibly have it's details on file?

Would a pride jaguar be the same as a Caribbean jaguar? I read that the two companies were linked at some point, and can only find pics of a Caribbean jaguar

I guess without good pics it's gonna be almost impossible anyway so I'll update this on Friday if it's not chucking down still

Well I didn't bother taking any photos of it because I found bigger issues. I lifted the plywood floor to find the actual fibreglass floor beneath with some holes in it, and through the holes I found the mushy strips that were once the stringers.

Me and my friend that were planning to restore it aren't exactly happy as it was sold as a "solid hull", but we've learnt to inspect things before we buy them haha

Next step I guess is to cut the wet cardboard floor out and assess the damage to the stringers, then decide wether to try and repair it or try and sell it to someone that wants a decent project. On the plus side the transom seems solid haha

Thanks for the help guys, if anyone's still wanting to know what the boat is I don't mind trying to find out, let me know and I'll keep looking

Well I didn't bother taking any photos of it because I found bigger issues. I lifted the plywood floor to find the actual fibreglass floor beneath with some holes in it, and through the holes I found the mushy strips that were once the stringers.

Me and my friend that were planning to restore it aren't exactly happy as it was sold as a "solid hull", but we've learnt to inspect things before we buy them haha

Next step I guess is to cut the wet cardboard floor out and assess the damage to the stringers, then decide wether to try and repair it or try and sell it to someone that wants a decent project. On the plus side the transom seems solid haha

Thanks for the help guys, if anyone's still wanting to know what the boat is I don't mind trying to find out, let me know and I'll keep looking

How'd you go finding the make mate?

Guest Aussie007

Jman, if u have your heart set on it u can rip everything out over a couple weekends and rebuild it over a couple more weeks ends with dedicated 10-12 hour shifts or longer

while i was under going a project like this a few years back the biggest thing for me was how the hell do i shape the stringers, since the original stringers were rotted i never had a template

after gaining some experience building my composite boat in this boating section taking on a project like yours would be a piece of cake

there is a relatively new product out to us aussies but has been around in the US for some years now its called "Sea Cast" all u do is remove your plywood floor, cut a cap off the total length of your stringers, using a chainsaw hog out all the timber than mix up the Sea Cast and pour it into the stringer cavity, add a fibreglass cloth cap to lock in the stringers than lay down a new floor

your transom is probably rotted as well, so u just grind/cut off the transom cap hog out all the timber with a 20" chainsaw, cover any engine/transom holes with tape and fill the transom with Sea Cast its in liquid form so u just pour and let it set, than add a new fibreglass transom cap

i have never used Sea Cast i was going to use it while i was doing the project mentioned but it was out of stock also if u do it correctly it has a life time warranty and will never rot

Thanks for all the help, I still haven't found a make or anything, but I will look into it when I get a chance.

Gazza, any idea what it would cost to redo the transom and stringers with sea cast? It sounds pretty good.

I have no doubt that I could repair it either with SeaCast or with timber, it's just that me and my friend bought it in the hope that we could get it in the water relatively cheaply for a fishing runabout. Were both uni students so we were looking at only a few hundred dollar budget to get the hull back to a useable condition with a home made windscreen and some second hand seats. We were expecting to have to replace the floor though cause it sounded pretty common for it to be soft.

If we can't still do that were basically just looking to cut our losses and try and find a forward control tinny or something.

That said, this boat is basically exactly what we wanted, it's nice and wide and would scoot around Lake Macquarie between fishing spots quite quickly. It's pretty shallow but in the lake that's not much of an issue

So if anyone's still following this, would someone be able I give me some pointers on what to look for when buying a cheap boat, or a link to a suitable thread?

Odds are well get rid of this one just cause of the cost to repair the stringers and floor. But will fully cut the floor out first just to see if it's all gone, never know I guess.

This personally has turned me off fibreglass boats at the lower end of the price range. But I'm still keen to learn how to tell if a hull is any good or not, cause if a good one came up cheap enough I'd still be right on it.

Thanks for the help so far guys, knowing me I'll end up on here quite a lot