hydrualic steering troubles

brendon19

need a bit of advice i have choosen hydrualic steering over cable steering for a new boat i am building and the motor is a 30hp black motor and when i tilt the motor up the steering cylinder hits the screw clamps and stops the motor from reaching full tilt

my motor does not have the clamps it is bolted on so can i cut them off where i have marked in the photo i have added???

The manual that came with the steering says to cut them off if it was a bigger motor where there is only stubs there

post-32013-0-17283600-1409734535_thumb.jpgpost-32013-0-66096400-1409734557_thumb.jpg

Edited by brendon19

That US 30HP Merc you have in electric start, P/T/T version will not even know if you you cut the thumb screw brackets off. They used the same transom brackets for tiller, rope start versions and your engine and with a tiller model you had thumb screws to secure the engine to the transom and there needed the area that is fouling the hydraulic steering.

Guest Aussie007

Im with Craig, if the clamps are in the way cut them off and tidy up and paint the cuts, when u eventually sell the boat u may need to explain why they were cut

I had a 50hp merc and some people who seen the clamps cut were saying the engine looked like it was ripped off a boat in a hurry and stolen