Broke my drought

W4z

Hi fellas

Winters been tough fishing for me and so I haven't been out as much because of that.

Friday arvo I thought I'd try a spot in port hacking where I was getting flathead in the warmer months. It was windy, murky and my plastic kept pulling in big chunks of weed. It wasn't looking good. I decided to try another spot that I hadn't fished as normally it's to shallow, but seeing it was right on high tide it was looking pretty fishy. After just a few casts I was on. A little flattie about 32cm.

adypa7a2.jpg

Just as it was getting dark I had a good hook up. A good little fight with some solid head shakes and a nice little bream came ashore at 27cm.

6azuje3a.jpg

It was a surprise as I was using a medium sized plastic and a 1/8th jighead which I would normally consider to heavy for bream. I felt a few more hits after that but no hookups. Changed to a vibe but still no luck. Still haven't caught anything on a vibe.

The next arvo I headed back hoping it would be sheltered from the wind again but it wasn't. I tried some lighter plastics for bream but had trouble in the wind and current. Changed to a hard bodied lure which I also don't have much experience with and got one flattie for the arvo. 41cm so I was pretty happy with that.

y2yjy7ep.jpg

It's a good feeling to get a couple of legal fish again. I was starting to wonder if I wouldn't see any till again till summer.

Cheers

Waz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work mate. Winter can be tough! Especially with the crappy weather. Wind and lure fishing do not go together haha. Love the ever reliable flatties for preventing doughnut depression. Great work to get it on hb. Slow roll?

Nice hungry bream there too, greedy guts haha

Great work man! Nice to get a couple of good fish after a drought. I've had pretty much the exact same experience over the past couple of months, been praying for the better weather to kick in.

Also yet to get any fish on vibes, I can get them vibrating in the water okay, but they're so expensive I'm almost afraid to use them. I saw in Ray's Outdoors they're $12.99 each, but today you could get 5 for $25. Thought about picking some up, but went for the plastics instead.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Great work mate. Winter can be tough! Especially with the crappy weather. Wind and lure fishing do not go together haha. Love the ever reliable flatties for preventing doughnut depression. Great work to get it on hb. Slow roll?
Nice hungry bream there too, greedy guts haha

Like I said I don't have much experience with hardbodies so I was experimenting a bit. I mostly would roll it in for 3-4 turns of varying speed and then pause for 2 - 8 seconds. It was a suspending lure but I noticed it did very slowly start to float. It was cool to try something new and be successful so I'm looking forward to using them a bit more.

Great work man! Nice to get a couple of good fish after a drought. I've had pretty much the exact same experience over the past couple of months, been praying for the better weather to kick in.

Also yet to get any fish on vibes, I can get them vibrating in the water okay, but they're so expensive I'm almost afraid to use them. I saw in Ray's Outdoors they're $12.99 each, but today you could get 5 for $25. Thought about picking some up, but went for the plastics instead.

Yeah I also haven't used them much because they are so easy to snag. In this spot I was confident though because I knew it was just a sandy bottom.

Get the vibes from Kmart and metal lures.. They are cheap and work great!

Hey W4z,

what hard body lure you got the flatty on?

Also how did you work that hardbody lure off the beach? need some hints ;)

thanks mate!

It was a strada lure. I was casting from a sandy beach within the estuary