Buying a Yak... advice appreciated

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Thinking of buying a yak.

I have kayaked before on the inland rivers when I was much younger but the only paddling I hove done recently was on a surf ski and without the back support I found it gave me some pretty serious back pain after an hour or so.

I am not overweight and I do plenty of bike riding and jogging but the back is not what it used to be so I was a little worried about investing in a yak and finding I couldn't sit in it for 3 or 4 hours continuously.

So I was looking for some advice on how much support the seats offer and whether any one suffers from sitting in the seat that long.

Happy to invest more if thats whats required to get a descent seat with good support.

All comments and advice welcome.

Cheers

Jim

Mate I was in the same position a year ago, and it worked out fine.

Fractured 6 vertebrae when I was younger plus a heap of soft tissue damage upper and lower back. (Dirt bikes are a killer :P)

I'm the same with unsupported sitting, but I got a sit in top with a quality strap in seat and they really do give you the support you need. Definitely not the crappy ones you see on the TV ads but the ones even by seak and others sold as "deluxe" work well. I sit out in it for 6 or so hours and yeah by the end my arse is sore but that's probably the same for anyone haha "yakass" I believe the term is.

I think you'll be fine mate, and if you're worried maybe look into a Pro angler or something similar with a full chair, but I don't think you'll need it. If you struggle to find a try before you buy give me a pm be happy to let you take mine for a spin :)

I had a 2010 Hobie Pro Angler for 18 months or so and loved it for it's stability and comfort, I could sit in it for hours and not have an issue, plus they are so stable you can stand up even with a little swell so you can stretch your back. the issue with pro anglers is the weight, I wouldn't buy another unless they've greatly reduced the weight as they become difficult to lug around at 40+kg without being loaded with gear. having said that, I'd look into the rest of the hobie range, using the mirage glide (foot pedals) also helps to stretch your legs, as well as exercise them at the same time and the seats are top notch.

Hi Raiders,

Thinking of buying a yak.

I have kayaked before on the inland rivers when I was much younger but the only paddling I hove done recently was on a surf ski and without the back support I found it gave me some pretty serious back pain after an hour or so.

I am not overweight and I do plenty of bike riding and jogging but the back is not what it used to be so I was a little worried about investing in a yak and finding I couldn't sit in it for 3 or 4 hours continuously.

So I was looking for some advice on how much support the seats offer and whether any one suffers from sitting in the seat that long.

Happy to invest more if thats whats required to get a descent seat with good support.

All comments and advice welcome.

Cheers

Jim

Mate I was in the same position a year ago, and it worked out fine.

Fractured 6 vertebrae when I was younger plus a heap of soft tissue damage upper and lower back. (Dirt bikes are a killer :P)

I'm the same with unsupported sitting, but I got a sit in top with a quality strap in seat and they really do give you the support you need. Definitely not the crappy ones you see on the TV ads but the ones even by seak and others sold as "deluxe" work well. I sit out in it for 6 or so hours and yeah by the end my arse is sore but that's probably the same for anyone haha "yakass" I believe the term is.

I think you'll be fine mate, and if you're worried maybe look into a Pro angler or something similar with a full chair, but I don't think you'll need it. If you struggle to find a try before you buy give me a pm be happy to let you take mine for a spin :)

Thanks... that gives me some reassurance

I had a 2010 Hobie Pro Angler for 18 months or so and loved it for it's stability and comfort, I could sit in it for hours and not have an issue, plus they are so stable you can stand up even with a little swell so you can stretch your back. the issue with pro anglers is the weight, I wouldn't buy another unless they've greatly reduced the weight as they become difficult to lug around at 40+kg without being loaded with gear. having said that, I'd look into the rest of the hobie range, using the mirage glide (foot pedals) also helps to stretch your legs, as well as exercise them at the same time and the seats are top notch.

Thanks Linc... sounds like the pedals are the go... keeping things moving is always better.