Braid leaders

SgtBundy

I have changed my surf rod from mono to braid. I might be too hopeful but I went to 50lb braid and a 50lb FC leader in case I get a chance to chase kingfish, I figure I might as well be ready.

Despite the stiffness of the leader I got it joined to the braid but the knot was fairly bulky and consistently catches on the rod eyes. I ran a long leader (exceeding the rod length) so it takes the force of the cast. I am now wondering if I should just run the braid straight through and just rely on the leader on the terminal rig.

Is there any reason to not do that? Is there any problem casting with the braid like this or should I just work harder to get a better leader knot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate On the beach I run braid to terminal rig, that's where I use the fluorocarbon.

I know guys use long,wind on leaders for kings, but I don't think it's necessary off the sand.

It's more a question of being bitten off than reefed.

PR knot is the best of all but FG knot is the go if you don't want to stuff around with a bobbin. 50 lb is fairly heavy off the sand which will limit your casting distance a bit. I use 30 lb braid and 30 lb FC leader and that has held up ok for some decent sized rays and small sharks as by-catch fishing for tailor and salmon. The longer leader will give you a bit more shock resistance during the fight.

Cheers, Bart

If your wanting to run braid I'd be going along the same track as Ryder and just run the leader from the terminal rig, but I wouldn't be going as heavy as 50lb. I use 30 or 40lb max.

The biggest problem with using heavy wind on leaders off the beach is when you get your cast going properly the knot can jam on the tip guide and do one of three things ,

• reduce your casting distance
  • cause an enormous birdnest or;
  • knock the insert out of the tip shutting down your fishing until you get it repaired
Edited by Crossfire63

slim beauty or fg not are good the finger would cop a flogging trying to cast the braid a back to back uni is also a good back up easier to tie when the wind is blowing or in low light I would go long leader as the braid will wear on the sand after a while you will notice it going fluffy 50lb is robably a bit heavy 30lb is heaps for the sambos over here .

If I'm using 20lb braid and 20-30lb leader, I use the Bimini to GT knot. The FG knot is strong and forms a small knot too and tends to work much better in heavier lines such as yours.

I don't like the FG knot in under 30lb. The lighter the line the more twists you seem to have to do to avoid slippage.

So far all my lighter braid/FC knots (10lb) were just uni to uni knots and that has worked fine for me, but I might try and do something a little more refined but I had a lot of trouble doing the more complex knots properly.

For this heavier stuff I tried the FG knot last night and it was fairly simple to do (which suits my sausage fingers) and the end result seemed quite good despite my attempts not being perfect. I mean't to test it out today but managed to fall on my ass slipping on a rock and snapped the rod tip, so didn't get to give it a go.

I know the 50lb is massive overkill for pretty much anything off the beach, the reason I got it was I also wanted to use this setup for kingfish off the rocks if I get the chance.