Beginner fly gear

JET01

I know next to nothing about fly fishing so go easy.

I want to target whiting on the flats and Luderick off the rocks.

Im normally fish 3lb for whiting and 6lb for Luderick.

I know there are some gillies starter packs for around $150 but don't want to get bottom of the range and have to waste money on upgrading later.

What rod and reel would you recommend for someone starting out?

Most of my spinning set ups cost around $300. ( pflueger trion with ci4 2500). I'm thinking there's probably a similar setup in the fly world.

I know there are some brands etc that can't be mentioned on these forums due to the rules so pm me if you need to.

Cheers.

Hi mate,

I would suggest you look at a 7 weight rod in a medium action.

A medium action rod is alot more forgiving when it comes to timing the cast for a new caster.

Can get away with a cheaper reel in the salt if you maintain the heck out of it but would probably be trying to stretch the budget and get a decent reel with a sealed drag system for longevity.

Spool it up with a WF7F line (Weight Forward 7 weight Floating line)

Could also get a WF7I line (Weight Forward 7 weight Intermediate sink line) if you wanted to chase flatties etc in a bit deeper water.

Its a whole new world mate and very enjoyable if you like a challenge.

you can get really creative with fly fishing.

Budget i would say should be around $500-$600 for a decent outfit including line, reel and rod.

I have a VXP 7 weight which was my first rod, its a perfect rod for a beginner or experienced caster that will satisfy you for years (no need to upgrade).

The rod mentioned is actually on close out sale now as they are dis-continuing the model so is a great time to grab one at a good price before they are all gone.

Good luck mate, any questions in regards to above info, call out!

Gday Jet01, welcome to the dark side. There are many top shelf flyrod companys that make entry level or beginners set ups for a reasonable price, companys such as Sage, temple fork outfitters, innovator nitro etc.Personally I would lean towards a more reputable brand rather than the Gilles outfit as you will tire of the beginners kit pretty quickly as soon as your casting improves. A 7wt rod and line will be perfect for what you want to do.Saltwater will quickly destroy any reel that is not annodised with a salt water protective coating so look for something like a shimano biomaster or a lamson konic or similar,these reels serviced and cleaned regularly will last a lifetime.In flyfishing most bang for buck is obtained by spending more on the rod and line rather than the reel.A quality line will set you back anything from $60 to $120 or so. Don't skimp on a quality line.The next best way to get value for your money is to get yourself some professional casting lessons, I cannot emphasize this enough.The best gear in the world will not make a lick of difference if you cannot make a basic cast. Peter Morse and Justin Duggan are conducting some lessons at the Penrith Regatta Center and it would be money well spent to attend these clinics and get yourself started on the right path. If I can be of any more help please let me know .cheers troutboy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with troutboy a quality rod and reel with a good line! I'd recommend a sage entry level such as the response or going cheap is the discontinued Vxp Lamson make the best reels bang for buck and have a totally sealed drag. Wry easy to maintain its the kiss principle! Line wise look at the rio range or the new tfo lines!

Edited by luderick -angler

Hi Jet01, I concur with everything that Hooked Up said! Just bear in mind that with Lamson Waterworks reels, the drag is sealed, however the drag doesn't put out that much in way of KG. If you were looking to spend that kinda money on a reel, it would probably serve you well to get a specific salt water reel, with a higher end drag system. Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus