Plate boats 4.80 to 5.5 m

Paikea

Having spent a small fortune fitting out my 5.6M Tournament the boss is trying to convince me that I should get a smaller lighter boat that is easier to handle one up. Something between 4.85 to 5.5M on a single drive on trailer.

Not sure that I want to get rid of my beloved Tournament however I have been looking around. I will still want to go outside, maybe not as far as I could in the Tournament but the Peak, down to the Humps, out to the Plonk Hole are all options that I want to retain.

Had a look at the Surtees workmate 5.5, looks impressive. Anyone have any experience of this boat? Or their 4.85 model?

Quintrex seem to be the perennial favourite that comes with all the bells and whistles, but just how good are they? Ditto the Webster Twinfisher, what are they like to handle one up?

I am also thinking of an unpainted hull, can't see the sense of a great paint job for a boat that is parked outside. Oh, and I don't like self draining hulls in what is a small boat, My Trailcraft was self draining which seemed great until you get two fishing at the back and find that you are standing in water as the floor level is too low to keep the water out. So close the scuppers you might say but what is the point of having self draining if you are not going to use it?

Anyway, anyone have any advice for me? Not saying I will go this way but it is worth exploring.

Cheers

Paikea

Extreme make the best TRUE plate alloy boat in your size-the brands you mentioned are not plate boats in this size range with 3mm sheet alloy and only 4mm on the hull. Extreme are built to another level with 5083 5mm and 4mm plate used through out and the build quality is far superior to any other brand and running a hull of 20 degree deadrise, large reverse chines and flooding keel they offer the best ride and stability going in a plate. Yes I have been in them all and choose to stock and sell Extreme for a reason. Ask any of those other brands to use 5mm and 4mm only and/or build to survey standard and I think you would get a too hard basket answer. The 540 Sportfisher, have one here or the new 500 Sportfisher is the best money can buy and the dollar is good at the moment against the kiwi dollar so good time to buy.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Thanks guys for your offers of assistance, unfortunately I am mainly looking at going out week days when you all are working. Weekends we have been going down to Ulladulla.

One problem is that the boss is worried about giving me a hand launching the boat. Reason being some bad experiences including when I left her holding a previous (smaller)boat whilst standing at the side of the ramp at Burrill Lake whilst I went into Ulladulla to get a new primer bulb for the Suzuki motor. That took an hour during which time she got belted by the boat through waves from some passing boats. I was not real popular that day.

Re driving the boat on, no I have not tried that again, did it once when Steve and I took the boat out, I think that I had something like 5 goes and still couldn't get it right. Also I am worried about damaging the gelcoat on the boat. With an ally boat that would not be a problem.

And Steve/John, we will have a day out one weekend soon.

Cheers

Paikea

If it needs to be a weekday, then a weekday it can be, the ramps are quieter

My last boat was a 5.4 sig, my fishing partners is a 210 Scout, one of the guys at works is a 470 Haines.........we drove/drive all 3 of them on, they are all fibreglass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Daylight Savings is nearly here again if you want to do a few evening sessions can meet you at any ramps between Pyrmont and Cronulla. Can even organise a day off every now and then. Weekends would be good early, we can even take a few boats and fish as a group, helping launching and retrieving.

J

Hmmm. I can see why leaving the lady for an hour hanging on to a boat has caused an issue.

I'm free a week Sunday for an outing if you and poss Dave want a fish.

(not wanting to detract from your boat search)

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Wow! what great offers, thanks guys. We are going down the coast this weekend but next week would be fine for a "drive on" lesson with Ian. How would the St George Motor Boat Club ramp suit? Or maybe the big ramp at the Container Wharf? They both have pontoons which make it easier to launch/retrieve.

Be good to combine having a fish in the Bay at the same time so if Ian and John are available please nominate some times/days that suits and I will see if we can make it happen.

Re Sunday week, I will be in touch Steve. Need to arrange some regular trips to get some use out of my boat.

BTW, as I mentioned earlier son in law Simon and I and two of his mates will be fishing the Coromandel in NZ in November. Knowing just how hard those barrel shaped Kingies pull over there I have started going to the Gym. Never thought that at 75 I would be doing that but I am enjoying it so it proves that you are never too old to exercise.

Cheers all.

Paikea

Will probably have to be late in the week, unfortunately my Dad (87) is in Wollongong hospital, scheduled for a pacemaker on Monday.

Might have to join you in the gym, I am probably going to Panama in May for a full weeks fishing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will probably have to be late in the week, unfortunately my Dad (87) is in Wollongong hospital, scheduled for a pacemaker on Monday.

Might have to join you in the gym, I am probably going to Panama in May for a full weeks fishing

Thanks Ian, let me know when suits you.

Cheers

Paikea

I have the 530 quinny freedom sports and its very versatile as in i can take the family out on the Saturday and the Boys out on the Sunday off shore with the front closed off. I have taken it up to 1-2km out at south west rocks in 20 knot winds.

Anyone seen the 4.8 Mako Cat from Stessl? It was featured in a mag and looked very good. Heaps of room and being a cat should be good in a sea as well and very stable at rest. How is the build quality of Stessl boats, welds etc?

I owned a 5.2 Kevlacat at one stage, a huge boat for its lenght, kept it moored on a marina in Gunnamatta Bay but too costly to keep that up so changed it for a boat that I could park outside my place. It was a great boat except if you ran over the anchor rope and it went through the tunnel, that was fun!

Cheers

Paikea