Tips For Patonga

Gaff

I would have to agree with Iain there on Byron's knowledge of that waterway. I've fished there a little bit.. here's some basic tips:

1. At the end of this street is a little wharf and some boats tied along the shoreline. Fish from the waters edge into the drop off for flatties. There should be some bream in here but I've never picked up any.

2. There is a large sand spit that runs south. When the tide is lower you can walk out onto it and fish the drop off on the western side.

3. Dont bother fishing here.. loads of people who stay in the caravan park do but its a waste of time. The current rips thru and I've never got much there.

4. The mouth is shallow then drops away (there are usually small breakers so you can tell). Ive got flatties just on dusk here using small minnow lures.

Good luck

post-32-1126158853_thumb.jpg

Gaff,

i love patonga, but more for relaxing than anything else........lol

Ok, bait is one of the keys to patonga success.

Look at the map and you will see # 3 which is just inside the creek and on the northern side(caravan park side) on the incoming tide you will see a big eddy here.

Great place for your poddie traps(we get heaps usually).

The flats here also have heaps of nippers, so take your pump.

I dont know it well upstream but have caught some flatties on SP's up there.

We fish the inlet but not when the tide is ripping and have got some good whiting(on nippers) and flatties (on poddies) there.

You can see the drop offs etc , so picking the channel is no probs.

I sometimes wade over to the centre sand bar and toss SP's or nippers at the moored boats and wharves with some success on bream.

changa

G'day Gaff,

Hmmmmm seems like a few people rate me as a Patonga expert. Not too sure about that mate but happy to share a few tips.

At this time of year I would be concentrating my efforts on flathead. (I fish lures only for the main, and you will need a boat to access the best of the breaming water).

With the water slowly but surely warming up, the flatties will be getting a bit more active. I have always done best on the run up tide at this time of year. Largely as it tends to be warmer. Target the shallow flats with sp's and work the entire shoreline from the Caravan Park down to the end of Bay St. A good few hours wading. The best of the water starts from the point where the kayak launch area is.

At low tide I like to walk out to the edge of the drop off and slowly work plastics on the bottom. The flatties need to have a lure run right past their nose at this time of year so give each area a good going over.

As Jaso says the creek mouth can also be good fishing. I reckon you could float a livie out on the run out tide and get almost anything if you tried at night.

Enjoy mate, I love the place. Remember the best fish and chips in Sydney is right there for you if you don't turn a scale.

Byron

Edited by Byron

Good day raiders, thank you all for your help

got ther Sunday morning at low tide

tryed pumping some nippers (lasted about 20 mins) geeze im not as fit as i thought, so getting some poddies looked a good thing,

20mins gone and 8 poddies in the bucket, and just about totaly buggered after chasing the trap down the creek for the umteenth time, it was time for a fish.

headed down creek just across from the large sand bar, fished untill could not hold bottom any more (it rips through there) for 1 bream caught on prawn

Not the best fishing day ive encountered

but would have to have been one of the most tranquel and relaxing days ive had in a long time.

What a Beautiful Spot.

Thanks

Gaff

Hey mate, i had one of my best fishing experiences at patonga about 1 and a half years ago. I was with family stying at friends who own a place on the opposite side of the river from the caravan park. I went at night time to the big rock around the corner on the beach there the one that sits really high in the middle of the beach and chucked out half pilchards. In one hour i pulled in 1 big bream, 2 flathead one 72cm and one 58cm, one tailor which was put back and one wobbigong which was fun getting the hook out of in the dark. Each cast the bait was taken within 5 minutes. I have been back twice with mates camping and other than tiny whiting and flathead and eels(and one rod that fell of the wharf after way to many beers) we did not have as much luck. Wading and swimming across the river at high tide with 2 rods and a tackle box in the middle of the night is not only a painful effort but also not very comfortable when there are shark heads posted around the camping ground.

A wonderful place to be though, good fishing at times and nice ppl in the bottlo who dont care how many times you visit during the day :beersmile::074: