Manly beach quiet

thefisherman6784

Hey guys

Seamus and I went for a fish down at manly in hope of a few salmon, whiting, bream, a jewwie and seamus claims he wants to catch a shark

Got there about 12 and and chose a nice gutter but before we got the rods, we tried to get some beach worms for bait but they were a pain and hard to get up but managed to raise a few but got none.

We then set out the beach rods with mullet strips and work the lighter rods for whiting and stuff. I hook something decent which I think was a big bream but lost it. Seamus then pulled in a nice trevally of about 30cm.

Then I get one about 25-30cm.

We checked the rods and then tried for beach worms again but got none.

We then tried for whiting again and got nothing.

Checked the rods again but I put a pilly on this time for a salmon but got none. Seamus went to try for beach worms and his whiting rod went off. It was a good fish. Either a salmon or big trevally but I lost it with the small hooks he was using.

Then towards the end of the day we tried for beach worms again and raised at least 100+ but only managed one :( and it was micro :( :(

Then to end the day seamus caught a little blue spot flatty which was released.

Anyway, packed up by 5ish.

I don't know if you remember but me and seamus had I battle of blades vs plastics and I won but this time seamus won. Unfortunately for me, this one was a water fight. And not any water fight, it wasn't a sea water fight, it was the freezing shower/drinking tap water. Seamus filled up a bucket and two water bottles and the next thing I know, I was soaking and freezing.

Heaps of laughs though and still a great day

Sorry no pics

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by thefisherman6784

Which part of manly beach were you on? I thought most of the manly area was a marine reserve from cabbage bay around to manly.

I hope to have a go collecting worms next time I hit the beach. What were you using to raise them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey SgtBundy

We were fishing on the left o the drain pipe near the a Surf club but no one said anything to us

Lifeguards walked past us several times and didn't say a word

definitely aloud to fish there

My only pain/worry was some of the surfers

I really didn't want them to get hooked or something.

Hey Ryder

It is so hard to get the worms with your hands

Pliers would be a good idea

The one I got was micro so it just slipped out

We were using pillys in socks to raise them and then to tease them to try grab them, we used half pilchard fillets as our finger baits

The other problem is the waves that come up and the worm disappears so you have to get them before the waves comes or you'll get soaked

I'll get my revenge

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We were using pillys in socks to raise them and then to tease them to try grab them, we used half pilchard fillets as our finger baits"

You guys sound young, I said it in another post, learn to catch them with your fingers, you will not regret putting the effort in. Its really about being slow and patient, try to find a local prepared to give you some lessons. If you can get a piece of squid or pippie foot, its a better handbait as the worms can't get pieces off as easily. Really , can't recommend enough putting the effort in to learn, especially if you are young enough to learn mew tricks.

Matt

"We were using pillys in socks to raise them and then to tease them to try grab them, we used half pilchard fillets as our finger baits"

You guys sound young, I said it in another post, learn to catch them with your fingers, you will not regret putting the effort in. Its really about being slow and patient, try to find a local prepared to give you some lessons. If you can get a piece of squid or pippie foot, its a better handbait as the worms can't get pieces off as easily. Really , can't recommend enough putting the effort in to learn, especially if you are young enough to learn mew tricks.

Matt

I'd love to learn.

I read the pinned article by Roberta, recent experience has shown, there's nothing like learning from an expert.

A beach worm social could be fun.

I had a small go at north Narrabeen this afternoon but didn't really have the time to set my self up properly, just swished a few pilchards around to see if I could spot them rising. I was planning to have Dad teach me on the weekend with the kids as I thought they might get a kick out of it, but if there is a social event I would not mind taking part.

I remember how easy it was to catch pipis as a kid up at south Ballina - pretty much pick a spot, dig your feet in there they are. Are they in numbers down here or is it just dumb luck?

Always looking to learn a new skill. Even if there wasn't enough interest for a social, which it looks like there will be, it'd still be good if someone with a bit of experience was willing to take a few of us out. Sure we could offer a few bucks/beers/some tackle in return. ;)