Stanwell Park - zip

SgtBundy

Thought about trying to catch the morning high tide today at 5am, but my nocturnal habits put that out of play, so instead went for the afternoon high tide while I had the time available. Picked Stanwell Park to try as a new place to explore and got there about 2:30pm with the high tide about 4.

Setup some bread/sardine cat food/pilchard burley in a pot for the first time - can't say it made any difference for me but that isn't saying much. Didn't really get anything I would call a bite, had a few pilchards that could have been chomped on, but nothing I noticed as a bite so probably just broke up in the surf. There were fish about though - a guy 30m to my left got a decent salmon, and another guy about 150m to my right got I think a pair of solid salmon as well. There were even a pod of dolphins doing acrobatics out the back breakers (launching out the top of the wave, getting completely airborne and doing what could only be called barrel rolls).

Managed to take a small chunk out of my finger trying to cast with my straight through braid setup, it dug into the cut I got the week before doing the same thing. I had meant to find a pair of gloves to use but forgot until I was on the beach. You can bet that will be sorted soon.

Fished up until dark (7pm) and called it quits for yet another donut (about the 5th in a row without any bites - starting to take it personal).

Thanks for the report...save me driving down there tomorrow...thats 3hrs round trip...gonna go to the eastern suburbs instead...

Took my son wharf fishing last night at mosman...Caught 3 pikes 1 bream 1 big pj which my son caught on a 10lb main 10lb trace no 4 circle hook...took a pike strip...unbelievable...

It seemed like it was good conditions - there was a fairly clear gutter running the length of the beach, big break out back, plenty of foam on the gutter and a fair chop to the surf. Others obviously found a few fish, not sure what it was like at the south end of the beach but there were a few guys setup there and I noticed them casting regularly.

That area was occupied while I was there. I thought it might be better because it was about where that gutter along the beach ended but a couple of guys were setup there before me up to about 15 min before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't take it personally, I know how you feel, I've been out four times in a row for nothing now. When land based that's just how it is sometimes I guess, the fish aren't always there or interesting in your bait and it's harder to relocate to a new spot. I've had some good times too can't complain too much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh bait is one thing that I would love to work on more - I usually don't have the time to arrange it though unless I grab it from a fish shop (well, semi-fresh anyway). I have tried catching livies a few times too but usually only when I happen to spot them while I am doing other fishing. I guess I need to find ways to work that into my sessions.

Yeah, the braid took a good chunk out of my finger, mostly skin, but its healing already. I already figured out I was holding the line in the wrong position which was half the problem. I was pulling it right back into the stem of the reel, but if I instead hold it so the line is perpendicular off the spool, there was a lot less pressure on the finger. Holding it also on the tip of my finger rather than near the first crease also seemed to have a lot less impact. Just habits from lighter gear that don't work once I start using 3-4oz sinkers and braid.