Is ulladulla firing up?

Busy-livin

Hoping for some wise tips as I'm Heading south potentially and will hopefully if weather remains good head out from ulladulla,

I've read old posts about flathead drifts to the south out near tabourie but am wondering what's been happening lately??

. Undecided weather to go south or north and fish off green island, or straight out maybe into 20-70 m of water First time out from down there

Cheers

Hi Stanton

I was down at Ulladulla last weekend, heaps of boats out but I did not see them come in so cannot help you re how good it is at present.

In my experience, providing that the sea is reasonable and you are looking for a feed I would head down to Burrill Rocks and do a drift East of the rocks. I have never missed catching Flats in that area. Try drifts in different depths until you get onto them then repeat that drift. Too easy!

If there is a Westerly blowing you can try behind Crampton Island at Lake Tabourie. Start close to the island on reef where you may pick up some reef fish (Small Snapper, Sergeant Baker, Red Rock Cod, Trevally, Leather Jackets etc.) Then as you drift of the reef and get onto the sand you should pick up some Flats. I have done drifts up to 1 KM straight out and hit Flats in a range of depths.

I have also caught Flats inside Burrill Rocks drifting toward shore or parallel to the shore in a light Southerly or North/East breeze.

Plenty of choices out of Ulladulla, a great place to fish.

Cheers

Paikea

Thanks for the reply paikea!

At present I think the forecast is 0.7 swell with an easterly breeze.. Although that can change but I hope the seas remain under 1 metre

But the boat can handle the rough stuff.

I'm defiantly chasing a feed of flattys ! Hope there not playing hard to find!

The island to have a go at some reef species if I have time sounds like a great idea thanks!

Cheers jake

Hey Jake,

I put up a week or so ago..... Flathead are definitely on! Big tigers too! A local told me to just go straight out from the harbour, line up Ulladulla lighthouse and pigeon house mountain so that they are both the same height, and drop your baits! We went a little deeper, started at 40m and drifted out to 50m, fish were bigger as we got deeper. At 48m I hit gold, double hook ups of solid fish...all on pilchards and a snapper snatch paternoster rig. I saw a lot of boats at the cleaning table, some good snapper and morwong from the reefs but a lot of barracouta as well. I hope this helps and good luck!! It is a beautiful part of the world....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks mutt that's a great top to line them up ! I saw your post ! Seems you had a great feed on the table

In bate bay in sydney I usually run a two hook set up with a snapper sinker on the bottom when drifting I think I'll use the same set up!

I heard squid produced near the headland a so I may try. Look for the weed beds on the way in!

Cheers!

Hi Jake

The ramp on the South side is the go. Wide two lanes and a pontoon jetty, they do not get much better than that. The North side is ok but steeper and no sandy beach to pull the boat onto if you want to do that. But, you cannot clean fish on the South side whilst the Northern ramp has fish cleaning tables. I usually launch/retrieve on the South side then tow the rig to the cleaning tables on the North side. Too easy.

As to Squid I usually get mine in front of the swimming pool just South of the harbour entrance, all along that shore is good but watch out for some shallow reef out cropping in close. Look for weed next to the white rocks and cast your jigs over the weed back to the white rocks. Works for me.

Good luck

Cheers

Paikea

PS; Is that a Seafarer Viking in your pic?

Edited by Paikea

Sweet thanks paikea, I was hoping your reply as I know your a local there with great knowledge

Yep 85 model 5.2 Viking with a 95 135 merc.

Great boat I absolutely love it handed the swell and chop well, I saw In an old post that you had one !

I love what you did with fiberglassing the transom and a door in it .