Fishfinder - Not always a fish!

fragmeister

So on the way back to the boatramp last week these showed up in various places in the Parramatta river up towards the Wharf Road boat ramp.

post-32937-0-11185600-1412666879_thumb.jpg

Looks nice doesn't it! Lots of nice arches hanging around that depression.

Well I am pretty sure it was jellyfish which were all over the place when I looked over the side.

...looking forward to the sounder presentation tomorrow!

Cheers

Jim

Jim, the sounder will show whatever is in the water that if can bounce a signal off. Fish, jellyfish, pylons, moring ropes, rubbish, plastic bags. When you see a line on the screen that means there is "something" in the water.

Yes...

I am aware of the science behind the sounder.

However , I hasten to point out that ropes, rubbish, plastic bags and pylons don't show up as arches... well ...not on my sounder anyway!

Cheers

Jim

It's still possible for objects other than fish to show up as an arch. Sounders with a wide beam angle like yours will show arches more than narrow beam sounders. It's got to do with how an object travels through the beam and the distance it is from the transducer. Hopefully they will explain all this at the presentation and your right though, if something like that shows up on the screen you would generally think it looks pretty good.

Guest no one

Interesting. I'd get excited if I saw that and then cry for the next hour while i wasn't catching anything... I'd then persist to swear all the way home and cry to the Mrs about how rubbish I am at fishing... (Note this happens on a regular basis!)

Looking forward to tonight!

Edited by tef1on

Interesting. I'd get excited if I saw that and then cry for the next hour while i wasn't catching anything... I'd then persist to swear all the way home and cry to the Mrs about how rubbish I am at fishing... (Note this happens on a regular basis!)

Looking forward to tonight!

Haha I love the brutal honesty ! It happens to me too