need help on kingfish

stevex

Hey all just bought a boat and been trying to catch my first kingy in pitwater i read that alot of people have luck downrigging live squid in pitwater and getting the odd kingy. Im buying a downrigger but not sure how to use it and where in the pitwater to try my luck also always trying to catch squid but never had luck i no im starting from the bottom but gota start somewhere. Only keen to fight a kingy then release got no interest in keeping fish as my fun is in catching em any help would be great cheers

If you are realy decided to catch Kings, and only going for Kings, I suggest starting with catching squid. Once mastered that move on on how to catch them.

Or you do it like me, and hope luck has it in for you that day, and you soak pilchards under a floater. ( I can tell you id does not happen very often this way, and thta I really should learn how to catch squids)

Other approach, and a bit easyer, try to catch some yackas. Not as good as squid ( from why humble knowledge) but easyer to catch.

Thanks for your help mate do u have a squid jig that works well that i could buy or should i buy a few does size and nrands make a difference sorry 4 the question just so many different jig wouldnt no where to start

Thanks for your help mate do u have a squid jig that works well that i could buy or should i buy a few does size and nrands make a difference sorry 4 the question just so many different jig wouldnt no where to start

yamashita 2.2 egi sutte in brown and white

post-33466-0-15896100-1413795289_thumb.jpg

Got 3 squid on it at west head on Saturday

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Squid are definitely the gun bait for Kingies but I have caught plenty on yakkas too.

In my experience , live or recently dead squid will entice a Kingy even when they are not particularly active and on the bite and thats why they are

considered more effective.

Live Yakkas, slimeys and gars can be just as effective when the kings are actively feeding but less so when the kings are not actively feeding.

If you are new to fishing for Kingsfish you want to give yourself the best chance possible so I would certainly agree with what has already been said.

Learn how to catch squid.

Fish the most likely locations - structure and known squid or bait grounds

Fish at the best times - high tide on or around sunrise is my favourite time

Read up on appropriate tackle and rigs and make sure you can tie a decent knot.

When you start getting hookup the real challenge starts... landing these freight train fish!

Cheers

Jim