Rock fishing, what age?

thefisherman6784

Hey guys

I know I'm still young to be doing rock fishing but a thought came to mind about what age I should maybe start

I will be based probably around Avoca rocks. I've taken a walk there on a calm day and it looks to be ok but definitely don't want to risk anything yet

What are your thoughts

Cheers thefisherman6784

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fisherman,

It's hard to reply when you don't state your age.

Mental maturity and physical fitness are important when fishing the stones. By maturity I mean being capable of making a judgement to walk away from a spot when it is too rough rather than taking chances. I fished Avoca years ago many times as a kid, mostly at night, but I learnt by going to heaps of different ledges with my father. Our approach was to watch an area before fishing, never take your eyes off the water, spend minimal time right near the edge, avoid walking on the black algae and make sure you have a planned escape route from your spot. These days a PFD is highly recommended.

My advice is to start by going with people who are experienced and conservative in their approach. I know others who were washed off those rocks and were very lucky to make it back.

Best of luck, safety first.

You are a young man and have plenty of time to bother with the stones.

I'd say wait till you are of legal driving age and go with other people who have experience.

A good place to practise is the beach. You can experience different surf conditions, learn to cast heavy weights and strengthen your body. We used to fish the beach a lot and it's great for fitness.

A mate and I used to fish the rocks from Cape Solander to the stink pipe for blackfish after school. We made our own cleats in metal work class and bolted them onto the soles of pair of sandshoes. We were taught by the old fisherman who were pretty strict, they had a couple of rules you had to follow like know the tides, watch the waves (look out for the 7th wave), always wear cleats, have a rock "hold" for emergencies (this was usually a rope tied around a rock outcrop or through a eye bolt put into the cliff face) and never fish alone. They would kick you off the rocks if they ever saw you not following the rules.

I would never let my kids do it nowadays and there is no way I would tell someone else kid to do it. My advise, if you really want to do it, is find a mentor to teach you over time, in lots of different seas and weather and never think you know it all.

J

All the replies above are great my advice make sure your a strong swimmer physically mature and have the maturity to walk away from the ledge if conditions are no good and join a good fishing club theres a couple in the eastern suburbs who have very experienced guys as members. You have many years ahead leave the stones alone for a few years and enjoy your youth! I started when I was 15 or so and like the others if rules were disobeyed it was a size 10 up the rear and off home you go!

My boys go rock fishing after school nearly everyday, they are 10 & 14.

A few things worth mentioning, I have taught them over the last few years of the dangers of rock fishing.......

4 main rules.

1. They must observe the conditions for at least 10 mins before they pick their platform.

2. They must wear a life jacket at all times, no exception.

3. They must have an exit strategy. This means if they are swept off the rocks or fall in, where are they going to swim to exit. It's not always possible to remount the platform you left.

4. As mentioned, never fish alone.

To add weight to the reason I let them go are a few factors. They are very sensible kids, they know their area well and they understand what I expect from them. And quiet often I join them 1/2 hour later!

I will also mention, they are very competent swimmers at junior life saving level.

I have also drummed into them that NO piece of equipment (rod/reel/bucket etc) or fish, is worth risking your life for. Once it's in the drink let it sink!

It certainly can be a very challenging and rewarding fishing experience. But remember that it is the most dangerous sport in the world!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Good advice from Rock Hopper & Jocler.

Sounds like they have already convinced you but I'll back them up for good measure.

Every so often when the newspapers see fit to report it we find that there are up to dozen or so fishermen who die off the

rocks each year.

Of the people who drowned , I believe that none could swim or were very poor swimmers, very few wore cleats, none wore life jackets and most were inexperienced rock fisherman.

A number also died after jumping in to save friends who had been washed off the rocks.

Having done exactly that when fishing off the rocks at the north end of Maroubra about 30 years ago so I know how difficult it is to keep someone afloat in the wash even if you are a strong swimmer.

In those days we used to carry an un-inflated wine cask bladder in our pockets and inflate it if we ended up in the drink although I never did until this day. I blew it up and gave it to the guy who fell in to help him keep afloat while I half dragged him out to deeper and safer water, this was a task and a half. Someone raced around to the beach and the life savers came out and grabbed us.

We were both very luck that day.

In my view you even if you were fishing with an experience rock fisherman you should be a strong swimmer and wear a life jacket and a light weight climbing helmet. This may sound like a overkill but it covers the possible scenarios.

You can rip an inflatable life jacket on the rocks if you are knocked off your feet and dragged off the rocks so if you are a strong swimmer you have a chance. A light climbing helmet will reduce the chance of getting knocked out which was the case in some of the deaths recorded.

You sound a very sensible young man and you did the right thing by asking the question in the first place so I know you will take the advice onboard.

Cheers

Jim

I'm 29 and would never fish the rocks alone, even with the safety gear! Fishings much more fun with someone to share it with. Beach fishing I found more rewarding, certainly safer! You have many years ahead and by the look of your reports you catch regularly... You're lucky at your age to have the knowledge you do about your local areas. Stick to them, enjoy boat sessions with Seamus and in time you'll advance to the rocks. In my opinion rocks aren't as good as a day out on the boat or a good beach session!

Hey guys

I know I'm still young to be doing rock fishing but a thought came to mind about what age I should maybe start

I will be based probably around Avoca rocks. I've taken a walk there on a calm day and it looks to be ok but definitely don't want to risk anything yet

What are your thoughts

Cheers thefisherman6784

When you are old enough to know the correct answer to your question you will be old enough to start doing it - good on you for having the sense to ask.

Cheers Blood Knot

Hey Mate,

I'm 18 at the moment and it's only been this year that I've expanded onto the rocks more often chasing fish and there is multiple reasons for this:

1- At this age my parents are quite trust worthy in myself making the right decisions to fish depending the conditions, I'm a big fan of the rocks, its a game of too much too little in terms of fishing and this is exciting

2, I've got my P's and it opens up more options to fish a variety of locations

3, More mature I'd say, you settle down from the bullish 16year old self to taking more educated risks which is what rock fishing largely is and educated and informed risk which if you get right is a hell of a lot of fun!

Cheers

My 2 cents,

What Scratchie said,

"It certainly can be a very challenging and rewarding fishing experience. But remember that it is the most dangerous sport in the world!"

Learn how to swim ---BRONZE Medallion minimum!

Life Jacket ALWAYS

and ALWAYS watch the water.

(thefisherman6784) i was a inch from dying from a bad wave once as an very experienced rock fisherman once!

"is the most dangerous sport in the world!"

Love the stones and have fun.

JD

Good practical advice from Scratchie too.

Sorry Jeff, you must have posted while I was typing so I missed that very sensible advice.

Cheers

Thanks FM. I must also add, the platforms I have chosen that they are allowed to fish are very beginner level. But inforce that the dangers remain the same.

I'll let my kids do it. I don't think 12 is to young.

If your old man takes you out m, you wear a life jacket and learn the rocks, the waves and conditions etc etc you'll be fine. You do 100% need to be a competent swimmer.

Remember rock fishing is only as dangerous as you make it. If you take stupid risks then that's on you, te ocean didn't make you stand where it was going to crash some waves onto the rock.

Thanks for the great advice guys

Scratchie,

When you say "a beginner platform" what would you look for on a beginner platform

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a fair bit higher and are protected in different swell. There's still enough wash and drop off for them to cast and get a few. The platform is mostly flat and does not have a cliff backing it.

Rock fishing is not only dangerous fro

The point of being I. The ledge but access is a big factor you need a ballanced pack always have free hand two people descending makes it safer you can pass the rods down and have two free hands be aware if overhangs that can collapse have a safe access route learn basic rock climbing skills. And lastly being Sydney based we have statistically the most dangerous ledges! Mostly low sandstone covered in algae

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

What are your thoughts

Cheers thefisherman6784

Hi Jewfish wait till you are at least 95 yrs and even then give it some thought and please wear a life jacket : LOL: woy woy col :1fishing1:

Hi,

A good question revealing a sensible and thoughtful person...great qualities to have if you want to be a good fisherman.

All the advice above is pretty good. Being a good swimmer is important but, are you a strong swimmer in the surf? Knowing how to swim through waves is a lot different to swimming in still water.

Cleats: cleats are really good on slimy flat rock but if you are walking on uneven surfaces or honeycombed rock, they can be tough on the ankles and even a bit dangerous. Good footwear is important so think about this, there's a range of non slip fishing boot/shoe products around.

Watching the waves is obviously important as is not fishing alone. But even more so is knowing a range of spots to fish in different swell, wind and tide combinations. Avoca for example is better in a southerly than in a swell coming from the north. You can often find a safe and productive spot to fish in a range of conditions that may see some other possies totally out of the question.

Another thing to look out for is the slope of the rock ledge you are fishing from: a wave that washes past up behind you can gather pace on its return downslope to the sea.

Another issue is the depth of the water straight off the ledge from which you are fishing; deep water in close gives you access to some great fish like pelagics etc but, the power of the swell is much greater. Shallow water sees the waves slow and break well away from you and by the time they get to you, have not got quite so much force. A seemingly innocuous swell coming straight out of deep water onto the rocks can very quickly become extremely powerful and large when it suddenly rears up and breaks. This why Hawaaian waves are so powerful. They come straight out of deep water onto a shallow reef with all their power.

I reckon fishing the potholes with an experienced fisherman on large shallow platforms during high tide would be a good way to learn the basics of rock fishing, it's how I learned and I had a lot of fun targeting bream, blackfish and luderick on light gear. Long Reef was where I was taught and it was sensational. Up here on the central coast, the northern side of Norah Head going around to Cabbage Tree Bay would be the closest spot I know that is similar. Fish during a southerly wind and swell, using light gear baited up with cabbage, cunjie etc.

As you get to know the place you can start to look at fishing the more exposed spots.

All the best and take care...no fish is worth your life!

KB

Edited by Koalaboi