First Boat Rod... What to buy?

night_rider

Hi Raiders,

I've got a few birthday BCF vouchers to use, and it's time to add another rod to the collection.

I'm soon to gain access the open waters on a boat and want to get my first new boat rod. I've got a short Ugly Stik with a 6500 Penn egg beater on it but want to get myself a new one as the reel a bit rough.

Currently thinking somewhere around the $150-200 mark for the combo so nothing too fancy... There's a few other things I need to get to be "boat ready".

I'd like to be able to bottom bash + troll for something bigger but will probably end up sending livies/slab baits out most of the time.. - New to the idea of fishing off a boat...

Should I be looking at an overhead? I've noted a few Okuma or Penn combos around the price range that look okay but I don't really know what I'm looking at... Used to buying lightweight SP & estuary rods..

Thanks in advance!!

Mark.

I went 3-5kg and 5-8kg, depending on what im after. Ugly sticks are good... I love mine, but I love my Abu Garcia 5-8kg more for big big fish, it just gives me more control that the ugly stick but that's due to it being a hardcore outfit.

One thing I wish I would have bought with my boat rods is an egg-beater reel with a bait runner function on it but that's purely personal preference as I dont like overheads. If you're used to spinning reels then a bait runner combo could be for you. they have the same features as an overhead but in an egg-beater shape, in my opinion these are amazing! I know they had an outfit a few weeks back with one.

Hope it helps...

I'm going to disagree with Ed on the bait runner. I've used these and really like them for shore fishing and inshore but in my opinion they are just not man enough for bottom bashing or trolling. I've bust a couple and seen them go ping on charter boats. Just my opinion. I reef fish in anything from 40 to 80 M and frequently need 8-12oz of sinkers to keep bottom put a reasonable fish on top and fishing light isn't an option. I'd suggest 30lb braid as a min.

Of course if your much more inshore it's a little different

I like overhead for trolling and spinning for everything else.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Hey Steve - out of interest are you talking about this type of reel? Each to their own! When we get a trip organized together I'll show you why I prefer them!

post-30931-0-51618900-1414993305_thumb.jpg

Something like a 10kg rod and a 4000 or 4500 reel should do fine

Ugly sticks are great I have about 3 around one 4-8kg and two 10kg one 6ft and one 7ft there great for general boat use any will never break the only thing there not good for are lures just because of there whippy tip and they don't give the lure a good action

For the reel have a look at the shimano and daiwa range there are plenty of good ones in the 100 dollar range

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Yes ed. That's the type. IMHO not strong enough for bottom bashing ( not where I go anyway) I do like them for other fishing styles though but that wasn't the OP question ( heading open water) I'll pm you about a trip but still have a stuffed shoulder and pos more surgery.

Hmm. Interesting discussion guys. Sounds like I really need to decide how wide I am going to go and then make a decision based on that..

I imagine for a little while it will be in the bays and inshore reefs rather than going out to 80m of water.. I'll pop into the store and see what's going.

Thanks again lads

Mate I think you need to work out first what you want to chase.For $150-$200 limit I think it would handle rat Kings,any thing bigger than a rat and your reel is in trouble.Just because you are to gain access to a boat does not mean any more fish or larger fish unless you are going out to the Fads/shelf etc then at $200 bucks you would be underguned.