Melbourne Cup Flathead

joking fish

I fished the Northern Beaches with my brother yesterday. Our usual spot provided again.

I caught a big octopus that was close to the largest I have ever landed. It was real escape artist. It continually creeped its way out of its confines. We decided to let it go. Meanwhile my brother lost several big fish. I assured him that the best of us have days like that. He was pissed! I managed to land a 58cm Flathead that salvaged a day where many fish were lost. It was a pleasant way to spend a Melbourne cup afternoon.

post-16627-0-56951000-1415154305_thumb.jpg

post-16627-0-26829600-1415154362_thumb.jpg

The only way to stop an occy is to pull its head inside out from the back of the head. You have to slip a finger up in there and just yank.

That's if you want to keep it.

My old man used to love me when I caught occy for him.

Every time I hear someone let an occy go I cry inside haha.

One of the best tasting creatures of the ocean!

How did your brother lose his fish?

John.

A couple of fish spat the hooks and the noahs arc broke his line! He called it for a Kingie, he was using 20lb leader as well. There are some very large critters at that spot.

I guess thats where circle hooks come into it mate, but they are abit hit and miss from my experience..

I have tried circle hooks before and they take a bit of getting use to, they are not ideal for our set up of 3/0s on a gang hook snell. 3/0, 2/0 or 4/0 suicide hooks are a better choice for how we fish and what we target.