Port Hacking

Yowie

Pumped some nippers yesterday arvo, so I could fish from first light this morning over the various sand flats.

Apart from spooking a nice flattie that was sitting in shallow water, nothing for some time until I pulled out a flattie of only 38cm, then nothing for a long time after that. As I was about to move, retrieved a nipper and it was grabbed mid water, then off it went. Around the boat 4 times, then around the motor. Lucky the line held and I pulled out a 44cm trevally.

Tried a few spots and pulled out 2 whiting around the 30cm mark, but bites were few and far between. Saw quite a few whiting, most undersized, but they were not interested in the nippers, same as last week. Also saw some bream scooting around, but all of them undersized.

In some places there was nothing to see at all, apart from little toads.

Headed back to mum's place to put the boat away and clean the fish. A few bream turned up for the scraps, and managed one about 30cm.

Good job as always on a hard day.

How do you keep Nippers overnight? Air-rated bucket?

You're really going to have to show me your Hacking secrets one day!

Good job as always on a hard day.

How do you keep Nippers overnight? Air-rated bucket?

You're really going to have to show me your Hacking secrets one day!

They will keep best in a shallow tray. I have an old plastic fish box with a lid. The lid is about 60 by 40 cm with an indent in the lid about 1 cm deep.

I fill the lid with salt water, then let the nippers swim about until I use them the next day. No need to aerate the water, as the shallow depth allows them air to breath.

Different if you put them into a bucket with 5 or 6 cm of water, half would be dead by the next morning.

Any sort of tray will do, so long as it is shallow with a large surface area. I leave the plastic lid on the boatshed floor, so I can empty the water out and down the cracks in the floorboards. Trying to carry a lid full of water will end up with you wearing it over yourself.

The old fisho that showed me this idea many years ago used to have some shallow trays in his garage which was underneath his house, and it was always cool in there. Heat will kill the nippers rather quickly. He could keep his nippers this way for several days, and not too many would die.

Edited by yowie

There has been a few over the last month, managed one just over size a few weeks back on a squid strip.

Hi Yowie,

I noticed it was a little slow last moth when I was camping at Bonnievale.

Tell you what though, the clear port hacking water and the backdrop of the national park makes that a magic place to fish.

I envy you.

Hi Yowie,

I noticed it was a little slow last moth when I was camping at Bonnievale.

Tell you what though, the clear port hacking water and the backdrop of the national park makes that a magic place to fish.

I envy you.

It's a great place to fish, but the clear water makes it a bit difficult at times. Then again, nice clear water compared to the murky Georges River. !!!