Wax wing lures

krause

I bought a shimano wax wing (40g) about a year and a half ago, finally used it the other day off the beach and caugth some really nice salmon. Switched to a 40g spinner for a while to get a little extra distance as the school moved alittle further out and lost the damn thing upon casting because my leader-braid knot snapped. So in arogance and greed i tied my wax wing dirrectly to the braid ( I had no leader on me). First cast i hooked a serious salmon! It took about 50m of line on the first run (8lb line), and then speed up and then.... nothing.

No stretch in the line equals no shock resistance and i lost the lure. Made me sad because i should know better. Any way, went to replace the wax wing and I was told theyre discontinued! So does anyone know a similar lure? Side to side walk style lures? And can someone give me a better knot than the double uni for throwing lures around. (That knots never failed me except for when I use spin lures?)

Cheers guys

I bought some wax wing lures about a year and half ago , Never used them I have been waiting to get a day out of the FADS, As I have small slimeys looking wax wings, I personally think they will work well at the FADS. In reguards to not being able to buy them here I am not sure, But if I were you it might be a chance at the tackle shop in the states. I am not sure if I can mention the name here. I will try to have a look myself I will let you know. Ps I have seen how they work they look good the way they dart from side to side.

One of my mates bought one a couple of weeks ago from BCF. He said they still had some in stock. I've also heard that they're discontinued. Would be worth a look around at a few tackle shops to see if there are any left.

He ended up catching a nice rainbow trout on his second cast with it. Nice lure, but probably a bit over priced, hence not selling well and then discontinued.

I had a brand new 120mm one I used for the first time on the weekend. Had a lot of wind knot problems and after about 15 minutes a wind knot snagged in the guides as I cast, something went ping and my new waxwing sailed off into the ocean.

So if you feel like snorkeling off bateau bay there is one sitting out there :)

I have a smaller one my dad got me for my birthday and it's a great lure. Only got one salmon on it so far but I like how they cast and their simple action. I agree they seem over priced but a shame they are discontinuing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It upsets me to know these were discontinued, I found the small ones to be great on tailor when they were shut down, such a great action and easy to use. Perhaps they should have looked at dropping the RRP if they weren't selling enough, they were slightly pricey for what is essentially a glorified tassie devil

I just went down to Fishoutawater at Manly Vale this arvo and saw a bunch of them down there. They had a tub of them near the front at $10 each - not sure what size, but I think they were the smaller ones, around 50-60mm from memory. I've seen them on the shelf there recently too.

Edited by iamthecowgodmoo