Land based squiding - Syd Harbour/northern beaches

lostproperty

I'm wanting to do some squiding some nights after work during the week but have no idea where to go? If anyone is looking for someone to go squdding with let me know. I work In Ryde and live in Deewhy, have all my own equip. Or just some tips on where to go. Not looking for any rocky type areas just wharves etc thanks

Land based I am not so sure about but in case you are not aware there are a few important rules.

You have to be close to the ocean because squid like the clean water so east of the bridge is your best bet and quite far up middle harbour.

They like the cover of kelp and sea grass

They like places where bait congregate

They like illumination.

The best place on the way home is under the Spit Bridge - little tough for shore based fishing but some guys do it.

Cheers

Jim

Balmoral is worth a shot ,Clifton gardens, etc.

Avoid North harbour it's a marine protected area no squiding.

You can fish there, just no taking shellfish, invertebrates, etc.

Edited by Ryder

As far as squid liking to be close to the ocean, I wouldn't say that's too correct. You would be suprised how far up they will get.

Clean water is very important. Sand weed and structure are the ingredients required. Clifton gardens, cremorne point, Taylor's point, Palm beach, Jeffrey st wharf, pier 2, blues point, and a heap of others are great common spots. If your happy to search, you will find some amazingly good areas to fish that have few people. Jig selection and action is what is important with squidding.