Broken rod - can it be fixed

Sydneyfisher12

Hi raiders

As the adding says I accendenatly broke a rod on the weekend and was wondering if it can be fixed or do I have to buy a new rod

The rod is rated to 5-10kg and is made of graphite and is 6ft long it's made by Abu Garcia

I would love for it to get fixed as it's a great rod and you can't buy it in australia or online

Do you think it can be fixed and do you know people who fix broken rods

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Im not sure about graphite but I have repaired a carbon fishing rod before. Anyway the trick is cut a bit out of the rod and insert the broken section in then using the powers of superglue hope it magically stayed. I found the rod will be weaker but it will function

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to agree with RAYp. By repairing it you will change the characteristics of the rod. Go to your local rod builder/ tackle shop and ask someone to repair it perhaps. It could be a costly exercise with a result you may not like. Could you source a new rod instead.

There's a certain way of repairing graphite or carbon fibre rods and if done properly should preserve the action.

Say you have a $1000 IM8 carbon fibre fly rod for example that you broke mid section. That rod would be worth repairing and to do so would be to join the broken sections with a segment of lower grade carbon fibre like IM6 for the splint. If you use the same grade carbon fibre then you'll find as a bend is put on the rod there will be a straight section where the rod has been repaired. By using the lower grade carbon fibre for the repair it largely overcomes this problem. It's a job best done by someone who knows what their doing and worth paying for a decent job. $200 spent to salvage a $1000 is still worthwhile (assuming there isn't a warranty on the rod that covers breaks)

Now, if you were to break a $100 rod then the cost of repairing it properly could easily end up as much as getting a new one.

Long story short, you can repair them with no appreciable change in the action if done properly but it may cost a bit and not be worth it overall.

I'd agree with Ray, there'll be a reason it's discontinued in Australia... Buy a better one - it will last longer and be better. With a repaired rod you'll be just waiting for the rod to break again.

I'd agree with Ray, there'll be a reason it's discontinued in Australia... Buy a better one - it will last longer and be better. With a repaired rod you'll be just waiting for the rod to break again.

its never been sold in Australia and the only reason I want it fixed is because I have no money to buy a new one. The rod comes apart at the end of the grip but I've looked all over the internet and can't find the rod anywhere it dose say its custom on the rod

You have an offer to repair it from luderick angler.

If I were you, I would be taking him up, and seeing if you could meet up to learn what he does.

I repaired a few glass rods in my teens, for myself and for others. Yes it did affect the action, slightly, but we couldn't afford new rods, and they worked well. I have to add I also built all my own rods then it was just the done thing

At present, you have a broken rod, that you may as well bin. If you fix it you learn, and in the least event you can only BE BETTER OFF, even if you don't like the repaired action, you will have learnt and acquired a skill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD