Cork Handles

Lightweight

Has anyone got any ideas/tips on keeping the cork handles on your rods looking fresh and new. I have got some new rods that i would love to look after the cork a little better, I do all the normal cleaning after use. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on keeping them looking new?

LW

66543[/snapback]

Leave the plastic shrink wrap on it :biggrin2: . Or, I know some people who use beeswax on the grip to protect it. Some people also give them a light sand occasionally to freshen them up.

Personally, I think grubby dirty looking cork adds character. Kind of like new joggers.. They're too white and I just can't wait to get them a bit dirty so they don't stand out so much.

A couple of suggestions I've seen are:

1) Beeswax. Heat it up (with a hairdryer or similar) so it's not so hard and rub it into the grips. Wipe off excess with a clean cloth. Surfboard wax was another suggested solution.

2) Cork dust mixed with glue. Mix the cork dust and glue and rub it all over the grips to fill in all the little holes and give a uniform finish. Sand back grips to complete the finish.

There was another one which was some kind of glue or epoxy in a spray can, can't remember off hand what is was called though, which is just sprayed on.

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and it's had some abuse from fishing off the rocks, but there's no major damage. I think I'll just leave it that way. If I do happen to damage it in a major way then it's an excuse to make another purchase :biggrin2: Lucky my :wife: loves me.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

As far as I'm concerned, this depends on how the grip ages. If it stilll looks and feels OK after a while, I just leave it as is. If it starts to feel a bit uncomfortable and rough, I'll give it a quick go over with P1200 wet-and-dry. This works very wekk and makes the grip look new, too. I recommend sticking to P1200, or maybe P1000 max., unless you want to end up with matchstick grips.

The little holes where the filler used to be when you bought the rod (it always seem to fall out after a little while...) shit me. The glue and cork dust is a good idea, although which glue to use will take some thought. I never tried beeswax.

I have not tried bees wax but on a warm day wouldn't it soften up in your hand??

Metho and a bit of rag is what I use.

66659[/snapback]

That's what I thought as well Jethro. As well as leaving it in the car and getting wax all over the place. The metho and rag sounds good to keep it clean. I think the cork dust and glue sounds good for filling any big gouges, but other than that I haven't heard any techniques for a general finish to the cork. Think I'll just stick with it the way it is.

madsmc

:1fishing1:

I sealed my cork handles with U-40 cork sealant I bought online. Keeps my handles clean all the time.

66770[/snapback]

Thats the stuff. The blurb on the front says;

"Enhances that cork feel. Toughens the cork. Reduces chipping, degradation of cork, Seals against dirt and oils"

It does make the cork look a bit darker. I am pretty sure my mate bought it from Mudhole