north harbor yak - frustrating session

bennoz

G'day gents

took the yak out for a spin on the weekend. left little manly boat ramp at a gentlemans hour of 9:30am. pottered around and picked up some squid and yakkas and then trolled to the front north head.

found a massive bustup of salmon, and what looked to be kings underneath (they were bigger but couldnt make them out clearly, so who knows). Had a live squid out one side, live yakka out the other and was chucking plastics, slices, lures but didnt get a single hit. I must have been in the middle of this school for 30 min without a hit.

once the school moved deeper, i checked my livies. The squid was still whole but clearly dead, and the yakka was swimming about so much he'd tangled the line around my rudder without me knowing. it was that bad i had to paddle back to quarantine beach and get out to unwrap it. Grrr !

after a break tried something different - i re-rigged some deep divers and trolled the heads. found the same school and went by them a few times without a touch.

in the end it was a great, but frustrating day out on the water,

How do you find yakking on the harbour particularly around the heads? I have my mind on a hobie of some description and I know they can go offshore but how does it handle around the harbour with the boat traffic and swell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mate you'l be fine.

i havent come across any idiots in boats that have worried me in over a year of kayaking. i love it and go all round the harbor and offshore.

i actually prefer to stay away from the heads as the reflected wave off the cliffs makes the chop uncomfortable over a few hours.

i go out to longreef and sit a few Kms offshore and the waves there are great. the big rolling swell is easy to manage. Get a flag for your yak because your small and hide in the ruts. Other boats cant see you and thats your biggest worry