What To Buy Bowrider

The Rabbit

I've got permission from the trouble and strife to buy a boat. The spec is a bowrider around 5 meters, not planning to go outside, use fishing, cruising and towing the kids around on a tube.

Started doing the rounds of the dealers and quickly realising they are no different from car dealers. It seems hard to get genuine advise from anyone, as everyone has the best product (according to them).

First question is Alloy vs Fglass.

I can see Fglass is a nicer finish, smoother ride, but a bit heavier and a few extra dollars.

Looking a used boats, the Fglass hulls don't seem to wear as well, if you look close a lot of them have fine cracks in the gel coat, though I'm told this is not really an issue. Used Alloys can be almost like new, to a few scratches to totally abused.

I plan to tow this boat up the coast at least once a year, but the difference in weight seems to be in the 100-150KG range for the same size boat.

I've looked at Quintrex, Stacer, Ally Craft, Trailcraft and Stessco new, as I had originally discounted (rightly or wrongly) Fglass due to extra weight and cost.

I like the look of the trailcraft, the wife likes the quintrex. Cheapest prices are the Ally craft. I have seen a second hand Savage (alloy with glass console) which looks like a nice compromise.

I would love to put a 4 stroke on it, but that will depend on the budget and what I can get out of the dealers.

The one answer I am really struggling to find is info on resale values. I have seen Glassguide advertised for about $290.00 but don't know if it is work the money. The only thing I found was an artical out of the SMH which said you lose 20% value first year , 10% per year after that which levels out after 5-7 years

Looking at the prices of used boats compared to the RRP of new no one else has seem this artical.

Any Advise , opinions on the above would be appreciated.

I still have mine for sale...

Need to get rid of it cause new boat is coming soon.... :biggrin2:

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDef...ias=boatpointau

If you are not planning on going outside fishing much then i wouldnt worry about getting a glass boat as much... our new boat is going to be a glass boat because I mainly do outside fishing and is much more suited to my our needs...

Wayne

I went through the same thing recently trying to decide what to get and it was not easy to decide. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on just about all aspects of buying a boat, including dealers.

I found that it was better value ( for me ) to buy new. The boats I was looking at in the 4 to 5 meter range seemed to hold their value very well as second hand units. There was not much difference at all between top condition second hand to new, so to me it was better to go new knowing if I keep it well, it should resale well in a few years based on what 2nd hand boats were selling for now.That the theory anyway.

Based on the fact that I feel a top conditon 2nd hand boat will resale well in a few years it was a safer option to go new.

Read through some of the other threads and you'll see there are many pitfalls to buying second hand if you are not carefull.

My opinion on glass v aluminium is that is is simply a personal choice. I went aluminium because it is lighter, easier to handle and it can take a few knocks without damage. Tin boats always seem to hold their value too. Of couse glass has a much softer and more comfortable ride which I was prepared to concede.

Brands can be confusing too. I went Stacer because it gave me the most value in what I was looking for. Quintrex is the most expensive but a top boat too. Lower end hulls are Ally Craft and Trailcraft but still pretty good as well. Sea jay, Bluefin, Clark etc etc etc there are heaps to choose from in the middle.

Dont get carried away in the moment, and over committ financially cause there is always money to spend along the way.

You cant go to far wrong buying new, but be carefull buying 2nd hand. Read back through this section for heaps of topics on motors and buying secong hand.

Good luck :thumbup:

:1welcomeani:

You could look at a more traditional boat in an affordable fiberglass. My new boat has arrived and the my old boat is for sale. I have 2 children and with the wife on board its very comfortable.

It is a very clean and tidy cuddy cabin boat in great condition. She was originally purchased in 21/12/00 by its original owner from Middle Harbour Marine. I am the second owner and purchased it on 28/5/03 and have always kept it garaged.

She has a 2 stroke 60hp Mercury outboard, approx 250 hours. It has the maintenance manual and log books for all its service history. There are 2 fuel tanks and a Racor fuel filter fitted. The Brooker trailer is in good condition with a jockey wheel and there is a tailor made storm cover for the boat.

She has a new Humminbird Matrix 17 Dual Beam sounder with instruction manual, bilge pump, plumbed live bait tank, rocket launcher, 6 stainless rod holders, 3 x stainless grab rails, 2 x cockpit lights, 2 x cockpit fluoro lights, nav lights, battery box, 27 meg radio, auxiliary plug, burly pot, ski hooks, sand anchor and reef anchor, 2 x bucket seats, 2x stern corner lift out seats.

The boat has been well looked after and had an easy life.

Asking $18,500.

post-144-1126506386_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

YABBIE Marine is a site sponsor that sells BlueFin Aluminium boats too. Most of the members only know them for their POLYCRAFT.

I bought a Bluefin from them and found that they were honest and good value for money ( BTW I was researching and looking for over 2 years so I think I covered all bases ).

Eric and the boys at Yabbie will look after you.

The spec is a bowrider around 5 meters, not planning to go outside, use fishing, cruising and towing the kids around on a tube.

Hi Rabbit,

Same specs as I had ... along with low maitenance and just as tough as my old alloy hull.

post-526-1126515661_thumb.jpg

The Polycraft has all of this and a much softer ride than the alloy. The weight is only 20% more that the equal hull in alloy, while fiberglass is around 75% heavier than alloy.

post-526-1126515705_thumb.jpg

I have not heard a bad word about the Poly ... every owner raves about them ...

:074:

Checking them out can't hurt :thumbup:

Good Luck!

Thanks guys.

To Grantm, Why do you consider the Trailcraft a low end hull, they look like they are built like a brick shithouse, and they are priced accordingly. I got a quote on the trailcraft 475 crossports to day, about $33500 in round figures

Which brings me to another question , what are your thoughts on plate alloy boats verses pressed hulls?

Thanks guys.

To Grantm, Why do you consider the Trailcraft a low end hull, they look like they are built like a brick shithouse, and they are priced accordingly. I got a quote on the trailcraft 475 crossports to day, about $33500 in round figures

Which brings me to another question , what are your thoughts on plate alloy boats verses pressed hulls?

66782[/snapback]

Sorry Rabbit I missed your post,

Mate looks arent everything with hulls.

Only my opinion on the hull pecking order, but ive seen two boats sink and both were Trailcrafts. Poorly sealed hulls around the bungs so it left a bad taste in my mouth with them. Also the hull design has a lot to do with it, things like EVO hulls on Stacer and Millenium hulls on Quinnies are a good feature, also you can have u pressed verses v pressed hulls, u pressed being the better etc etc. I also like boats with stainless fittings on the accessories and on screens as well. Storage capacity, seating positions, fully welded verses spot welded it goes on and on.

I remember a while ago a Trailcraft of about 5 meters capsising offshore for no apparent reason. Water came through the transom door and the self draining hull did not work and the boat filled up and turn over. There is probably more to this story but it is still a worry that this can happen unless the bung falls out or something obvious like that. The hull design has to be questioned in these cases. There is always more to a hull than how they look. Design is an important characteristic.

Dont get me wrong, im sure there are many happy Trailcraft owners and these are just isolated events, but it just makes me feel they are at the lower end based on these issues and the basic hull design which doesnt offer much IMO.

Plate boats are great but also expensive. Blue Fin make a good plate boat and also make the hulls for Savage. These hulls are up to 5 mm thick and are more suited for offshore. A pressed hull is all you need for the river and bays.

Like I said its only my opinion and im sure every one else has a different one ( especially Trailcraft owners :1prop: ) but I just think there are better value for money options out there.

The bottom line is whatever you go for, if you look after it and dont push the boat beyond its capabitlies you will love it and have a great time on the water. Im sure a Trailcraft will still do the job nicely if you like them, its hard to go to far wrong with a tin boat anyway. I will say they do look good in the water and plenty of people buy them so maybe im being a bit harsh who knows. :wacko:

It is a common opinion that some of the features I have mentioned earlier are barely noticeable to most boat users anyway, and only noticed by people who spend a lot of time on the water in different boats.

Good luck and let us know what you get :thumbup: