Run down on the new boat!

mike2153

So I got my new boat a few weeks back now.

It's a 4.2 stessco skipper with a 40 yami 4 stroke on it.

Less than 100 hours and in mint condition.

A lot of people were telling me I'm mad for heading out the heads etc with it so basically these are the trips I've done so far:

Sydney harbour to 12 mile then to sydney fad, artifical then back to tunks park on less than a 25 litre tank running around at about 30km. Wind picked right up at 12 mile, swell was 1.8 that day but nice long duration, got a bit choppy but and headed back in.

Last week went to long reef, then the fad and back into the harbour, was putrid weather with 15knot winds making every choppy but boat went fine.

Went out around north head and bluefish in a 2m swell and 10-15knot wind one afternoon this week, as long as you know how to ride a wave and don't mind a bit on banging around you'll be fine.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't fish the near by reefs in a run about.

post-32602-0-17696900-1417072766_thumb.jpg

Hey mate i wouldn risk it if theres a chance of wind picking up, i have a 4.2 aswell and we fished 2 fridays ago,when it hit 8pm gale force wind came out of nowhere we quickly pulled anchor and drove slowly to yowie bay there were 1 metre waves in there, as i turned to the right the boat tiped right over and we both fell to the ground i had to face the boat to the waves and slowly crept to the moored boats to moore up til it was safe luckily we were in the river, i rarely check the weather i wil be now though lol

There's no reason you can't get to the 12 in a 4.2 as long as the weather is good doesnt matter if you head out 1 k or 20 it's all the same. Just need to be very careful and look at various weather forecasts to see if any change is predicted, also if it looks

Like it may pick up pack up and go with mucking around.

They are some big trips in a runabout, I had a 4.2 stessco tiller steer tinny and the swell picked right up as I was south of jibbon bombie so I quickly turned home. I'm looking at the peak and 12 for the first time in a few weekends in a 5.2. But use more than under 25 lt old merc blackmax love the fuel haha but Not worried I've handled boats in a lot of different conditions but as you say weather research is a Must!!!

Nice looking boat mate!!

A very long way out in a small boat.

The current and wind out there can be very different to what's happening even at the peak some days. If you have a 3 knot current from the north and a little wind from the south it can be quite rough.

If you are comfortable going out there in your boat that's fine but I'd be careful recommending others to do the same in a 4.2.

If there skill levels of boat is not at the same standards as yours people could find them selves in real trouble.

A very long way out in a small boat.

The current and wind out there can be very different to what's happening even at the peak some days. If you have a 3 knot current from the north and a little wind from the south it can be quite rough.

If you are comfortable going out there in your boat that's fine but I'd be careful recommending others to do the same in a 4.2.

If there skill levels of boat is not at the same standards as yours people could find them selves in real trouble.

Well said and yes small boats have their limitations and it doesn't matter who is the skipper.

Going way offshore on any day can change in seconds and the wind can blow from anywhere at anytime on certain days with very adverse effects

Very true mate, well said, not saying it isn't risky but can be done if you pick the right day and stay in touch with the weather and know how to read the weather forecasts and conditions.

It's intresting to see how far people will

And won't go in there boats everyone is different is all comes down to knowing your limitations as a skipper and knowing your boat, never do something your not comfortable with.

Talk about skating on thin ice.

12 miles out to sea in my boat 4.5 50hp seems a bit mental to me lol!

Had to turn around yesterday as it was pretty hairy and I only wanted to fish north head lol.

Like you said it's down to your own judgement, confidence and comfort level.

I had a nice hit of adrenalin yesterday and that tells me it's time to get outta there lol.

Good luck mate and stay safe.

Lee.

There's no reason you can't get to the 12 in a 4.2 as long as the weather is good doesnt matter if you head out 1 k or 20 it's all the same. Just need to be very careful and look at various weather forecasts to see if any change is predicted, also if it looks

Like it may pick up pack up and go with mucking around.

It's not all the same. I km out you should be able to outrun an unexpected weather change - what chance have you got 20 km out in a 4.2 m tinnie? And you cannot be certain that there won't be a nasty change no matter what the forecast says (especially in the case of the winter westerlies).