Tassie Trout

W4z

This reports about a month late but here we go.

Back in January I spent a week and a half in Tasmania and was pumped to catch some trout. I couldn't even manage to catch one. Tried everything I knew with no luck. As things turn out sometime, I wasn't able to meet up with my mate who lives down that way on that trip. Plenty of talk between us though and it led me to vow that I would go back and catch one of the mythical Tasmanian Trout!

The year rolled on and trout season in Tasmania reopened shortly after a mate and I had booked tickets to Hobart. We arrived at the airport about three weeks after opening with fly rods, spin rods and camping gear packed.

We were picked up just outside the terminal by our mate from Hobart in his Hilux with his boat in tow and all packed up and ready for a big weekend. It was Wednesday night about 8.30pm and we had until Sunday afternoon to do a Trout fishing tour of Tasmania. Lucky for us the fella who picked us up is the manager of one of the biggest tackle stores in Tasmania and so it was like having a guide for the trip.

We headed straight up to the Great Lake and hit the sack by the waters edge. It was a beautiful place to wake in the morning.

Heres some pics from the trip

Day 1 - Great Lake

GreatLake4Large.jpg

I decided to fly fish the morning and was dropped off to walk the edge. The other boys went to spin and use plastics. None of us had any luck that morning.

10268573_10154846397700425_5159712336502

In the afternoon it was decided that we would do some trolling to make sure we atleast got our first Tassie Trout.

P1050656Large.jpg

P1050658Large.jpg

P1050678Large.jpg

P1050685Large.jpg

It was a great day on the water. Got pretty cold coming in a sunset. We had packed up camp at lunch time so once we had the boat in we headed on to our next fishing destination - Woods Lake.

With constant moving between spots and setting up/packing up we didn't get to bed before 1am each night, it was full on but worth it.

Day 2 - Woods Lake

P1020480Large.jpg

P1020476Large.jpg

P1020488Large.jpg

P1050751Large.jpg
Edited by W4z

P1050845Large.jpg

P1020497Large.jpg

P1050765Large.jpg

P1050850Large.jpg

P1050863Large.jpg

Day 3 - Lake Crescent / Derwent River

Lake Crescent has only just opened again for fishing after it was shut about 20 years ago due to carp being released into it. Since it was opened again it has been producing 10 - 16lb trout. We headed there for the day to take the chance and try for one of these lake monsters. A slow morning was had.

We decided to head back to Hobart and fish the Derwent river for Searun Trout for the afternoon.

First fish on the Derwent was a redfin! We didn't come to Tassie to catch Redfin!! Soon after we were on to some searuns

P1050918Large.jpg

Day 4 - Derwent River and return to Sydney

Sunday morning we were back on the Derwent chasing the Searuns.

First fish again was a Redfin!!!

P1050933Large.jpg

P1050931Large.jpg

Soon after this eagle swooped down to pick up the dead Redfin off the surface. It was great to watch

P1050942Large.jpg

P1050943Large.jpg

P1020505Large.jpg

Another fish that didn't make it was swooped up by the eagle. A spectacular sight to see.

P1020500Large.jpg

P1020501Large.jpg

P1020502Large.jpg

Overall a top trip was had. It's a pretty amazing place down there. Unfortunately I wasn't able to catch a fish on fly. Just gives me an excuse to head back down there again!

Cheers,

Waz

Cheers guys. It was a top time.

Sounds like an amazing experience man. Love that pic of the gutted fish sitting next to the fire, bet they tasted great.

That's a super big cast iron pan, the fish were cooking in it. Turned out beautiful.

If you don't mind camping it is a very affordable trip. Apart from the flights the most expensive thing I bought was a bunch of new flies!!

Camping in a new caravan would be OK

nice report

P1050685Large.jpg is tops eating babies

W4Z nice

JD

Cheers, yeah they love the imitation trout lures. I forgot to post a pic of one with the spotted dog lure. Also did really well down there

post-33500-0-16842500-1417499548_thumb.jpg