Bobbin Head Yak- with a Shark encounter!

Flickin82

Made the trip to the sisters for the weekend, took the new Hobie for a run down in Cowan creek. first time in the area, Saturday morning was a little slow, Flicking SP's and a few hard bodies I managed a 45cm flattie, a few small pinkies, it was hard going.

This morning a managed my second "leave pass" so I went again, I got 4 flatties, couple of 45-50cm, a flounder and a couple of 25-28cm pinkies............ Then all he'll broke lose, I was hooked on the last pinkie, just about had it to the yak when I saw a bow wave behind it which I couldn't believe... Sure enough it was a 4ft ( I think Bull Shark???) grabbed the fish and my lure and took off! run 20 odd meters and dropped it, I was winding my fish back in and again whacked it. Fish was dead by this stage and in bits, the shark then hang around me and seemed to be looking for it again. After a few minutes of circling and wasn't camera shy... Got a quick video, he left with a nice feed. This bloody thing was that close to me it splashed me on its first strike. Was a great experience to see from water level, not too mention very unexpected right at the back of the Marina in the shallows.

Anyone had anything like this happen up there ? Or was this rare?

It's something you have to accept when you go Kayak fishing. Most sharks are not interested in mammals.

I've caught a 2 meter Hammerhead from my yak and had a 3 meter Dusky Waler breach the surface ten meters away.

It's a two edge sword - you get close to nature without a engine and can experience catching big fish from a small vessel. But sometimes too close to nature.

Yeah agree Leatherjacket! It was scary at first but he was hanging around for the fish, clearly didn't care about me.

I can't upload the videos !... It's keeps stopping me. How do I do it ? I really wana share them, can't see much, but enough to see it as the first hit and run happened so quick. Would of killed for a go pro

Yeah agree Leatherjacket! It was scary at first but he was hanging around for the fish, clearly didn't care about me.

I can't upload the videos !... It's keeps stopping me. How do I do it ? I really wana share them, can't see much, but enough to see it as the first hit and run happened so quick. Would of killed for a go pro

Sounds pretty scary to me.

To upload the video it is probably easiest on you tube and provide the link.

I live 5mins away from Bobbin head and used to fish it really frequently. There are actually quite a few sharks in that area! Have seen them cruising around as far down as Apple Tree bay under the bridge. Pretty sure they have been all bull sharks that i have seen there. Only ever had one incident where a shark thought my bream was better suited to him.

This is one bit of footage I have, need to look hard as it's only on a iPhone. Shark in right at the start swimming from top right of screen towards the sinking pinkie.

Shame I never had a Go Pro and got the first hit and run.

This was 5 minutes or so of my teasing it trying to get it on camera.