Botany Bay Sat 29th Nov

General Zod

G'day raiders

Headed out to Botany Bay with the wife and her sister on Sat about midday after work, a lot more confident compared to two years ago, still learning though, need to get out more. Wind was starting to pick up so we headed for shelter and fished until late. They used prawns and managed 4 legal trevally which ranged from 31cm to 35cm, many under size ones as well which went back, my wife even managed a Crested Hornshark which we weren't sure if we were allowed to keep them because they look like a port Jackson shark so we let it go, (better safe then sorry). on the way back we stopped at molly point and my wife got reef by something big, it was now getting a bit late so we packed up and headed home. Nice day being on the water just need to get out more now. Gotta love those shipping containers ships when they go pass so close.

post-15062-0-50767700-1417422482_thumb.jpg

post-15062-0-49519700-1417422602_thumb.jpg

post-15062-0-50268700-1417422915_thumb.jpg

Nice report, that thing does look a hell of a lot like a port jackson - which are not protected by the way. Any shark not listed below is fine to keep - but only 1. There's a lot of waste on port jacksons though so they're not great to eat anyway.

Sharks and Rays
Legal length:
91cm School Shark only.
Bag limit:
5 in total*. Only 1 Tiger, Mako, Smooth
Hammerhead# or Whaler/Blue Shark.
0 for Wobbegong, release only.
#
Only Smooth Hammerheads may be taken. Great and
Scalloped Hammerheads are protected species in NSW
and must be released immediately with minimal harm.

Hi. I agree with Linc that it's a Jackson. The markings are not right and even for a juvenile the crests above the eyes don't look rite for a crested.

Nice write up and good to get a feed but I always end up feeling the one that got away was going to be the biggest.

Steve

At first I thought it was a Crested Hornshark because of the tail similarities but after more research it looks like a port Jackson for sure triangle above the pectoral fins. But it still looks like its got a bit of hornshark in it. Anyway thanks for the info guys and thanks for the heads up scratchie & Linc, next time if we get another one I wont be keeping it if its not that good of an eating fish.

post-15062-0-74405800-1417507557_thumb.png

Edited by General Zod

I'm sure I've caught hornsharks before and thought they were port jacksons.

I've eaten one port jackson, the flesh is pretty much like any flake, same taste and texture, but there's just so much waste for a relatively small fillet so I wouldn't keep anymore unless I was extremely desperate for a feed.