Leatherjacket for snapper?

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

With the wind blowing hard this arvo, no chance of getting out for a fish. So I sat down to watch "big angry fish".

The boys were using leatherjacket to chase snapper similar to the way I use unweighted slimey mac. I've never thought of that before, maybe a good way to get rid of those pesky things.

Has anyone ever tried using them for bait before?

Or is that just something you do in NZ?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Using a jacket for Reds?

Did they get results?

... I have on occasion see tiny jackets in large lizards

Go figure!

Dave

They smashed it. (6-8kg reds) What was quiet interesting was the way prepared the bait. Basically just sliced it in half horizontally.

Great show. The live baits they use are huge on that show !

I was shocked when they said leather jackets, are we allowed to use them for bait in nsw I wonder??

Of course you can. You can use any fish you wish too as long as it is of a legal size limit as far as I'm aware!

A few people think I'm mad but I use large whiting as live bait for jewfish. Works a treat!

Bloody NewZealand ers

They have better snapper and kings.

Who would cut a jacket in half horizontally

JD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All there fush are bigger! :)

Let me tell you, it looked the goods. It provoked a bit of thought in me. I fish very similar terrain as they were fishing in. Hmmmmm!

Don't wish to rubbish my Kiwi friends but on the south island I once saw a kid running on the beach and shouting, "Ded, ded, ded, come over here!' I thought someone had died but the boy was only calling to his father.

On the other topic, do they strip the skin off the leatheries before baiting up?

Don't wish to rubbish my Kiwi friends but on the south island I once saw a kid running on the beach and shouting, "Ded, ded, ded, come over here!' I thought someone had died but the boy was only calling to his father.

On the other topic, do they strip the skin off the leatheries before baiting up?

No they didn't. They put them on ice, then when needed sliced them horizontally. They removed the barb and pinned them with an 8/0 hook through the tail.