The Slimy Mackerel are here

Schnapper

Got out for a fish on Saturday up the river (Near the rail bridge), dropped the crab trap again, then tried to for live bait. Was close to dusk had no luck. Was looking to live bait for jew overnight. If anyone can point me to a spot up the river yellow tail can be caught, i would appreciate it.

Anyway the by catch was a 44cm flathead and 29cm Bream.

Ducked outside off newport Sunday for a surprise under anchor in close Sabos, only under size flatties on the drift, huge mowy. But the by catch was slimmies, taking big size 4 hooks. They light up the finder, sea temp online said 21.7 we took in 23.

Offered up the live slimmies under ballons at long reef but no king takers, then the wind picked and we called it a day. The crab trap produced again, but just blues Swimmers no muddies yet.

Any tips on yakka up the river?post-35019-0-88169900-1417511638_thumb.jpgpost-35019-0-88169900-1417511638_thumb.jpg

there were some good schools saturday morn just out from Jibbon headland all seemed in the 6-8m depth range further out into 15m didn't see any,in close i got smashed by a king(the King hit a Killalure 2Deadly) in 6.8m on the sounder…..wont forget my live bait gear next time……..the one slimy i jagged on a lure was easy 30cm……...

picked up my first slimey of the season in Pittwater on sunday - no takers for it though. the slimey was pretty big (~30cm?) and the kingies in Pittwater seem to be relatively small ATM.

Has anyone tried eating slimeys? Just out of curiousity, I cooked it up, but couldn't eat it - it really smelled awful - so I'd be interested if anyone ever eats them. my excess yakka usually end up on the plate (very tasty), but unless someone suggests otherwise, in future I'll be salting down any left-over slimey for use off the rocks.

picked up my first slimey of the season in Pittwater on sunday - no takers for it though. the slimey was pretty big (~30cm?) and the kingies in Pittwater seem to be relatively small ATM.

Has anyone tried eating slimeys? Just out of curiousity, I cooked it up, but couldn't eat it - it really smelled awful - so I'd be interested if anyone ever eats them. my excess yakka usually end up on the plate (very tasty), but unless someone suggests otherwise, in future I'll be salting down any left-over slimey for use off the rocks.

Try smoking them, they taste great!

Cheers

Paikea