lower unit or propeller clicks when shift into gear

maxlee

hi raiders,this is my first post but always keeping an eye on the fishraider for great information and entertainment.

any way yesterday ,i was tempted to perform a simple service on my 2006 etec 60,like .change the gear oil,clean the propeller (take it off and grease the spline and shaft),grease the metal parts in the powerhead,,,when i turn on the motor it runs normal in neutral ,but when you shift into reverse or forward, just at the point of semi engaged ,the lower unit /propeller gives couple of click sound, while you push the lever more into gear the clicks go away.,i am no mechanic at all and have no clue why it clicks, the click was not there before yesterday .i know there are a few outboard gurus on the forum,please help or give me a clue of the clicks come from.heaps thanks

max

Do not try on any outboard to engage the gears without the engine running or at least spinning the propshaft. The clutch dog and gears will not be aligned and the clicking you are hearing is the clutch dog jumping over the ramps on the gears. Once you fully engage it that is why the noise goes away. Changing gearlube will not of affected anything, but if the control cables are not adjusted correctly once the control box is in full forward or reverse then the gearbox wants to be the same way, by changing gears slowly, and i do not care what engine a person has, the noise is not doing any good to your gearbox-there is no clutch in the gearcase and changing gears quickly and directly is a good practice, of course making sure the cables are adjusted first.

Thanks Craig ,I probably should have booked the service with you and wait for it,but now I will have to adjust the shift cable first ,maybe find someone in my areas to avoid further trouble ,I live in fairfield ,any marine mechanic to recommend ?

Just to clarify ,I had the motor running when change gears,all clicks happen with engine running, I did not touch any shift cable (maybe accidentally when lubeing the parts ?)but the clicks are new which worries me

As I said changing gears slowly will cause this "clicking" and should not be done on any engine. Once fully engaged in forward or reverse gear there should be no "clicking" Pretty hard to determine a sound via a keyboard, but my money would be the fact that you are trying to look for this noise by changing gears too slowly-happens with all gearcases. If you are worried plan on using the boat up this way and swing by and it would be five minutes to start it up and see what it does.

To check and adjust control cables is not rocket science, if in fact it needs to be done, so I have already made you the offer to plan on using the boat up this way and I can have a quick look at it-I do not know how to be fairer than that. Anyone any good usually is busy this time of year and "mobile" guys can cause more problems then they are solve.

Incredible,I bought evinrude lub with pump kit,fill from the bottom hole till oil come out the top ,yep,maybe just not a Diy material,will leave it to pros to save me more headaches and live longer .

His oil gearlube pump works fine if done correctly. You just screw in the clear hose that comes in the kit into the bottom drain screw and then pump away till oil comes out the top-the air will be purged along the way. Put in the top screw, remove the hose and put the bottom screw in-not much to muck up really.