Fishfinder/gps combo

gregh1

Hi Raiders,

I am in the process of looking to buy a new fishfinder/gps for my boat. I have a 4.5m bermuda coral island with a 60 hp 2 stroke merc. I like the look of the Lowrance Elite 5 CHIRP combo. I have made a few calls and got quotes for installation and it looks like $200 for the install and around $600 for the unit.

What are your thoughts on the unit and price.

Greg

Thanks guys I think I might have a go at installing myself. Still waiting on Craig. BCF is $749 on special at the moment. 20% only applies to selected fishing items!!! Hoping the weather holds out for the morning. I will be heading out to ladders first and then, well not sure but somewhere off either Patonga or Lyon Island.

Hi Greg,

I have a Lowrance HDS touch 7 and whilst I've still got my L plates on learning to drive it I am very happy with it. The interface is very intuitive and there is good scope to add functionality later if you just start with the base unit. Again I'm not an expert but scan quality seems excellent. It is a more expensive option however.

Regards, Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg... Get it mounted. You'd be surprised how much difference 2cms can make on mounting a sounder! In the wrong place you'll get rubbish coming up all the time

Hi Greg,

I have a Lowrance HDS touch 7 and whilst I've still got my L plates on learning to drive it I am very happy with it. The interface is very intuitive and there is good scope to add functionality later if you just start with the base unit. Again I'm not an expert but scan quality seems excellent. It is a more expensive option however.

Regards, Brad

Thanks Tastee, I think I will stick with the Lowrance CHIRP it seems like good value. The Garmin I have at the moment is black and white and is only good for sighting the depth! By the way mate, does yours find you any fish lol

Greg... Get it mounted. You'd be surprised how much difference 2cms can make on mounting a sounder! In the wrong place you'll get rubbish coming up all the time

You might be right Tef1on, Insinc marine can put one in for around $200. The last thing I need is an EPIRB and hopefully that's it for a while. I think I put a pretty good argument to the missus on why I need a better fishfinder. Well it worked and this is my xmas pressie!! I hope it helps!!

To be honest most of my fish are still being found the traditional way, but I do love the chartplotter in new territories and keep a keen eye on the sounder as much as I can to understand better what's going on down there. As I said I'm an L plater when it comes to fishing off the sounder, but am trying to gather as much info as I can.

To be honest most of my fish are still being found the traditional way, but I do love the chartplotter in new territories and keep a keen eye on the sounder as much as I can to understand better what's going on down there. As I said I'm an L plater when it comes to fishing off the sounder, but am trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thanks Tastee, I ended up buying the Lowrance Elite 5 CHIRP and am getting it installed next Friday so I will be able to use it for chartplotting on Saturday morning. The next item I need to buy is an EPIRB. What would you recommend I start looking at mate?

Hi mate, I am getting it mounted next Friday ready for the weekend and then I am off for a month so plenty of fishing to be had then. Cheers!!

• 5 weeks later...