Rose bay flatties

mitchie18092

Went down for an hour after work yesterday arvo. Productive little session. Second cast a nice little fish around 30-35cm mark. Worked my way into slightly deeper water and missed a good hit, only to get him next cast - prob my PB - certainly my best at rose bay - didnt have ruler on me but conservative estimate of 65 - prob closer to 70cm. Was going to take it home for a dinner but messed around trying to get him in my bag and the leader ended up giving way.

Caught two more tiddlers and then another one on my last cast similar size to the first. Maybe touch bigger. Had some fishing boiling about 30m away - not a big school but HUGE splashes. Wouldn't touch my plastic unfortunately.

Should also note I was down there the day before for barely a touch, but did hook into something that would have dragged that bigger flattie backwards and then some! Tussled with it for 5 minutes, big runs and big head shakes before my bloody braid snapped above my leader knot!! Must have been slightly frayed. Silly mistake. (8lb fire line crystal)

bbb8bd1d5b91ff3ec36f11f305f424b9.jpg

9903a8e4e4abbf4e15a14ba4a4529439.jpg

cb5945e4bcc09a94c68254d61f5f422b.jpg

28fccade728475d918a92ec061b45e88.jpg9861ff4e3b7229edeab9598dcd6384fb.jpg

All caught on z-man minnow 4" motor oil w/ some sfactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done mate, great session.

Sounds like they're on down there.

Sound like you could used a fly fishers net to help land fish when wading.

They're small, light and you can hang the off a clip on your back, or just down your belt.

It could save some heartache .

Yeah nice work mate.

I agree with Ryder, I fished my local flats on the weekend and took my flyfishing net clipped on to my backpack. Too bad I didn't get a chance to use it but it could have come in handy.

Recently purchased some magnets off eBay that are for hanging your net off your back. Seem to work pretty good so far.

Good effort bud, need to get myself down there again on a quiet day. Sorry to hear about the bigger fish getting away, sounds like a really good size for RB. I'd definitely follow the suggestions about a fly or kayak net, you can pick them up very cheaply. I also made a small floating platform thing (it was a MacGyver moment- supposed to be a yabbie sieve til I realised you can't pump nippers in the harbour) that's pretty useful in calmer water for popping smaller items on when you're unhooking fish or changing a lure.