Land based spin rod

aeb870

I have always been fishing the rock platforms with 12ft rods spinning for Bonito, Kings and any other pelagics around. Recently and after loosing a few larger kings I have realised it's probably time to downsize to maybe a 9ft rod and more power.

In a week I will be going up to QLD to visit my brother and we will be fishing Seventeen Seventy if weather permits so I thought that might be a good start. I currently have a Stella SW 5000 and wondering if that can be matched to a decent 9ft rod to tackle kings back home and mackerel and trevally up north.

Any thoughts? Looking to buy something this weekend...

Edited by aeb870

I currently use a Daiwa SJ106MH (rated to 30lb) but if I were to buy another med-heavy land based spin rod now, I'd probably get the NS Black Hole Cabin II Monster. It's 9ft 6in and is rated to 40lb. Probably not the rod if you want to just target big kings on big poppers but would be a versatile rod for throwing metals, stickbaits and medium sized poppers off the stones.

NS Black Hole Cabin II 962 Monster NS Black Hole Cabin II 962 Monster

Thank you for the suggestions. I went around to a tackle world today and the T-Curve revolution seemed like it would go ok with the Stella I have but the guides on it were very basic and I was even told somewhat cheap (not fuji).

Iceman it will be land based. Only thing out of a boat will be some estuary fishing I am told.

Thank you for the suggestions. I went around to a tackle world today and the T-Curve revolution seemed like it would go ok with the Stella I have but the guides on it were very basic and I was even told somewhat cheap (not fuji).

Iceman it will be land based. Only thing out of a boat will be some estuary fishing I am told.

I had a stella 10000 on mine and it didn't know the difference

Used to catch queenfish school mackerel and the odd wolf herring off the rocks at the southern end of Agnes Waters beach on 6kg spin outfits throwing metals

Thanks for the location Iceman, we are staying in Agnes Water. I hear the spot they fish from if the wind is good is called "the catwalk" and it's up around the headland at 1770. But they said it doesn't always fire up and plenty of fish lost to sharks and resident gropers. More than likely will try your spot and will surely post / report back any success. [emoji6]

I had a stella 10000 on mine and it didn't know the difference

Slept on it and definitely seems to be my rod of choice. I think it's just a more versatile rod that will see plenty of use back home around the various rock platforms. Will head out to a store shortly. Thanks for the advice.

Its a great rod to pop big lures with and even throw decent stik baits and at a pinch jig and troll with it and being 3 piece you can take it all over the world