Monday morning fishing

gregh1

Hi Raiders,

Hit the water about 7am on Monday with the missus and headed off to catch some yakkas. Ended up getting around 6 in about an hour. I kept baiting and burleying and Chris kept catching em. It was good to see her happy catching something even if it was only live bait! Headed over to barrenjoey lighthouse and put 2 yakkas in, one with lead and the other without. The only thing that we came close to catching was a huge brown squid that had taken the live yakka and it let go just as we were about to get the net under it. I am not sure but I think this particular squid may be protected.

Headed back in to see if we could catch something on the turn of the tide. We were drifting along and I said to Chris "where is my graphite rod with the blue shimano reel"? It was obvious that we had lost it on the way back inside. Lesson learnt not to leave my rods in the rod holders at the back of the boat. Hopeing to get plenty of fishing in over the next few weeks whilst I am on holiday, if this weather actually permitts!!!

Ah, the old "leave the rod in the holder" story. Unfortunate, sorry for your loss - on the plus side now you need to go visit your local tackle store and get excited about all the shiny things inside!

I'm not sure about the squid being protected, sounds like a normal squid to me, just a large one. When they are in the area drop down a squid jig on a dropper knot paternoster rig with a weight to put it on the bottom, twitch it now and again and something should hit it. I learnt it of Linc and now do it every time I'm out. Fresh squid for bait are the best!

That sucks mate. I lost a new combo once to a Kingy! Never forget that day!

SO Barrenojey head has been quite then? You ever try west reef?

I haven't bought an epirb as yet but intend to do so soon. I certainly won't be getting any xmas pressies this year. Over the past month I have bought a 2nd battery, a new canopy, a new lwrance 5 elite chirp gps fishfinder, boat cover and not to mention fishing gear. But I think I should be able to sell the idea of getting an epirb to the missus based on safety. Not actually sure if I need one to get out to east or west reef though!!!

I haven't bought an epirb as yet but intend to do so soon. I certainly won't be getting any xmas pressies this year. Over the past month I have bought a 2nd battery, a new canopy, a new lwrance 5 elite chirp gps fishfinder, boat cover and not to mention fishing gear. But I think I should be able to sell the idea of getting an epirb to the missus based on safety. Not actually sure if I need one to get out to east or west reef though!!!

You don't need an Epirb for West reef. But you do need the other stuff. V sheet, torch, whistle etc.