West Reef

gregh1

Hi Raiders,

I am thinking of heading out to West Reef and was wondering how far out it is and how long it might take in reasonable weather. Also, is it far enough out tgat I would need an epirb. Another spot I would like to try out is Trawleys reef. Any feedback is welcome!!!

Gregh1

Oh sorry, I replied on the other thread. You don't need an epirb.

West Reef isn't far. You can still see Kilcare beaches when you are at the Reef. Trawleys would be different.

Do you have Navionics? For $15 you can have it on your phone and it shows you the reef and give you a good indication how far it is.

It's only 1.2 Nautical Miles out. If you are going 2 NM's you'll need an Epirb.

Also keep an eye on the wind, currently slack in the morning but kicking up in the afternoon! My advice would be to get out very early... Might be tempted to go up there myself on Sunday - looks like a very low swell.

If you head out hit me up on ch16 - call sign Central Coast 795.

I'm hoping to grab some yakkas then do a few drifts around early.

What are you hoping to catch? I would come if I knew others were doing a west reef trip, but now planning to head to Jervis Bay!

What are you hoping to catch? I would come if I knew others were doing a west reef trip, but now planning to head to Jervis Bay!

Snapper would be great or mowwies.

However I'll be happy with anything legal as I need to fill the freezer again.

Thanks for the replys everyone! Sounds like good advice!

I am not sure what is wrong with my boat. The last 2 times I have been out in broken bay I have ended up with heaps of water onboard. I thought it might have been the rain as it is kept in the open with a waterproof cover on it. I checked before I went out this morning and there was no water flowing when I opened the bung holes but when I came back in there was heaps of water again. I put the bungs back in and went around the boat looking for any leaks and couldn't find any at all. I have an onboard bilge pump and will use it until I find out where the water is getting in. I am not quite sure how to go about it but I might give Huett Marine a call to get some advice. So, I might hold off going to West Reef until I get it sorted.

Cheers,

Greg

The water can also be coming in through the bung housings themselves if they were poorly sealed and riveted from the factory like these were.post-20199-14189069592923_thumb.jpg

You'd be surprised how much water can accumulate in the bilge if it gets in through a minor leak due to the water pressure.

Cheers.

The water can also be coming in through the bung housings themselves if they were poorly sealed and riveted from the factory like these were.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1418906959.334957.jpg

You'd be surprised how much water can accumulate in the bilge if it gets in through a minor leak due to the water pressure.

Cheers.

Mine look very similar to your mate! I was trying to think if I did anything different and realised I had a sounder installed the day before this started to happen. It might just be a coincidence though. What did you do about your bung housing setup?

Greg

post-30637-0-11409000-1418952243_thumb.jpg

post-30637-0-89277000-1418952254_thumb.jpg

Check your sounder fittings too then.

Next time you put the boat out on the water, stay in a calm bay. Check the back of the boat, make sure there it no water. Come back in 10minutes, don't drive the boat. Inspect again and see if you can track where the water is coming from. Could be from the bungs, could be from the sounder etc.

Ah found the bugger! I noticed the green rubber is shot as well. I think I may end up changing the whole housing and putting in new screws instead of rivets. At least it wasn't the sounder!! Not a good time of the year for this to happen.

post-30637-0-58102900-1418954406_thumb.jpg

Mine look very similar to your mate! I was trying to think if I did anything different and realised I had a sounder installed the day before this started to happen. It might just be a coincidence though. What did you do about your bung housing setup?I drilled out the existing rivets and made up a new gasket and reinstalled using new rivets and sikaflex.

Greg