Need help with my surf rig

smallscott69

Hey guys, I've been searching for the ultimate beach Mulloway for way too long now and I've been embarrassingly unsuccessful. Last night I went out, day after new moon, right on the change of high tide, casting out freshly butterflied yakka and a huge one at that. I had my reel on freespool and all of a sudden the line starts ripping off like you wouldn't believe. I pick it up and... The braid snaps above the swivel without even me tightening the drag...

Im using 30lb braid main line with 40 lb leader. I use a large running star sinker going to a swivel, after the swivel 1m of leader with smelled hooks. I've had this problem before even when using the sinker clips it just seems to wear my line down. Could any of you recommend me a better rig?

Yep. Throw the braid away and run 25 to 30lb Mono instead. Have not dropped a fish since I stopped using braid in the surf.

Braid has no give, so it rips your bait around and is also not very abrasion resistant and will nearly alway break in that area near the swivel that gets rolled around in the sand

Okay thanks guys! I think I'm going to go out and buy an entirely new combo. Thinking a baitunner 12000OC and a decent surf rod to increase my casting distance to accommodate for the mono. Do you think that reel is big enough for 30lb mono?

Mate

The reel is big enough, you'll need something that will hold around 300m of .45mm Not exactly sure it will increase your casting distance. Baitrunners aren't renown as casting reels .

How far do you want to cast??. Most fish are caught within 30 to 50m of the beach. Its not a matter of how far you can cast to catch fish, you need to be fishing the right spot.

I just went out yesterday and ended up getting the 12000OC with about 290m of 30lb mono on it. Paired it up with a Penn Prevail 12foot 8-12kg rod, it feels amazing compared to the piece of crap I was using before. Im hoping that I can cast over 30m with this bad boy so I don't have to go waist deep in the water just to get my bait in the gutter. Just have one more question, is it worth fishing beaches on the change of low tide at night for jews?

I just went out yesterday and ended up getting the 12000OC with about 290m of 30lb mono on it. Paired it up with a Penn Prevail 12foot 8-12kg rod, it feels amazing compared to the piece of crap I was using before. Im hoping that I can cast over 30m with this bad boy so I don't have to go waist deep in the water just to get my bait in the gutter. Just have one more question, is it worth fishing beaches on the change of low tide at night for jews?

Nice combo u got there mate...

One of my mate caught a 18kg jew at low tide early morning down south on frozen pilly on d rig u r using...

Goodluck on d jew...