A cheaper transducer option

GreyNurse

Hi Raiders,

A little while back, I briefly had the notion to buy a spare transducer for my Lowrance Elite4X fish finder that's mounted on my yak. However, a quick look around showed that the going retail price was $189 or thereabouts. Hell, the fish finder was $200 brand new! Ok, I thought, keep your eyes peeled for a second hand unit that a Raider might be wanting to offload.

Then today I spotted something noteworthy. A scupper mount version is only $50, RRP. Looking more closely, the main difference appears to be the length of the cable. The transducer itself is identical (83/200 type bullet shaped) in both verions

The $189 version has a cable about 30' long. It's the same as what you get with the fish finder. I mounted my transducer "through the hull" and had to fold up and lash the excess cable to the scubber tube below deck.

However, the scupper mount version appears to have a much shorter cable, but appears to be long enough to accomodate the average kayak "through the hull" mount, if scupper mounting is not desired. It's just a matter of detaching the scupper brace.

It seems like a huge difference in cost, though for what appears to be a five metre difference in cable length. Or is it anticipated that boat owners would be buying the longer cable and so it's costed accordingly?

Anyway, if you're looking to get a back up 83/200 Lowrance transducer, you might want to consider the scupper mount version. It might save you the best part of $150

Also if you need the cable extended I can make cables longer pretty easily. Its just a matter of cutting it in the middle and checking how many cables are in the run then get the same cable from Jaycar and just solder in the amount you need extended. Waterproofing the joints is easy enough aswell I guess anyone with a soldering Iron and the know how to use it could do it themselves.